what is wrong with my cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

what is wrong with my cat

This is so strange. One of my two cats was outside. He comes in and immediately shyed away from me. I noticed his fur looks a little matted like he has been in a fight. I petted him and he ran away from me which is unlike him. he is the biggest cuddler. Then when my other female cat approached him he hissed at her and made like a growling snorting sound. Which is the oddest thing because i have had them for 7 months now and they have loved each other from the start. what is wrong? He has never growled at her or hissed before. She is not hissing back but seems to want to get close to him but he won't allow it. he is now in my room alone sleeping on my bed. I know that when my female cat got in a fight she wanted to be alone as well and avoided me. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? please help me. I don't want them to stop getting along and don't want him to shy away from me. what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 05:45 PM

take him to the vet immediately. a sudden, drastic change in behavior is indicative of a serious injury or illness.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

When cats are frightened, hurt, or stressed-out their instinct is to run and hide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Premier Cat

If you can check him over for any injuries.
If not and he looks like hes walking/moving fine leave him for a day and see how he goes. Make sure he has easy access to food/water and a litter tray if you use it.
It is likey either he has been in a fight or someone has gotten hold of him.
If he is no better after a day it may be worth a vet check, but you dont want to stress him out anymore if he is alrdy in such a state.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Premier Cat

Thats why I said if he is walking and moving around fine then leave it
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Cool Cat

Well, his behavior might well just indicate residual or redirected aggression if there was an altercation. Redirected aggression can linger for hours after the precipitating event...I expect any cat who's been in a fight to be aggressive, snarly, and antisocial for at least several hours.

Have you had a chance to examine him yet? Look in and around the mats for blood or foreign matter, or for injuries around the matting. Check paws, face, mouth, tail, and belly for any signs of injury. Any bleeding, deep cuts, pucture wounds or signs of things like motor oil/grease/tar/road materials on the fur are cause for an immediate vet trip. Any stiffness or sensitivity is cause for a call to the vet for an appointment ASAP. A vet call will probably be a good idea anyhow (they may want to see him just to be safe), but it's very important that you get a really good look at him to assess any injuries now so that you know better what's going on.

At the very least, separate the two cats at least overnight. If he is, in fact, having redirected aggression, he could take it out on the other cat and cause long-lasting problems between them. Better to allow him the space to decompress in peace than to spend the next month (or longer) with one cat bullying and the other terrified.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

update

just wanted to say thanks for all the info and to give an update. shortly after i wrote that email i went to check in on rudy. He was purring away and seemed abit better. My female cat megan came in the room and he was fine with her as well.. wanted to play fight with her but seemed to be rather sore. I managed to lift his tail and was so upset to see a large bloody gaping wound on his backside. He did not let me get to close of course. I phoned the vet and told them i was on my way. He was looked at and the doctor said he would need to be given anesthigia and stitched up. i am so angry with myself. Megan was attacked several months ago and i did not let either of mycats outside for months.I finally let them out about a week ago and my little guy comes home like that.. There is one mean cat around here... i know that.. They are indoor cats from now on.. they have each other to play with.. they seem happy inside anyways.. i get to pick him up tomorrow. i just hope he isnt sick or ends up catching a disease.. ahhhhh my poor cat.. am i the worst pet owner.. i feel like i am.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
You're not the worst. You would be bad if you were not LEARNING from your mistakes, which you are by making them strictly indoor cats! GOOD! (you have no idea how happy that makes me, to know that they will be safe inside from the dangers of the outdoor world). Glad to hear that you cat got to the vet and that his injuries are treatable. Give him lots of hugs and love when he's feeling better, and it will all be better soon (as long as you keep them INSIDE!! lol)

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 AM

Yes you are definitely doing the right thing! And you're doing that because you are a GOOD cat owner! Your babies will thank you when they are living LONG, healthy lives in a safe environment with their loving human parent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page