Pulling fur out - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Pulling fur out

My six year old cat has been pulling her fur out on her sides. She started this behavior in the animal shelter and I have never been able to get her to stop. She doesn't have any health problem causing this but she now has a rather large bare patch on her side. Is there anything I can do to help her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Banned

Boredom is a common behavioral reason for cats to overgroom themselves. You might try increasing interactive play time and vary the toys you use from day to day.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Well the problem with that is she will hide under the bed all day. She's done this since the day I brought her home from the shelter. She will not come out no matter how much I try to talk her out. She will come out in the evening usually around 7pm and I spend a great deal petting her and giving her scritches. I try to get her to play but she just has no interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Cat Addict

She started doing it at the shelter?

Maybe she's stressed. You might want to try Feliway Comfort Zone plug ins or Spirit Essences.

Play would also help. If you can't get her interested in the toys you have, try different ones. Da Bird or a lazer light are usually big hits.

Also, you may want to make a place for her to hide in the main rooms, like a cat tent or condo (those ones that are like a cylinder with an opening). That's harder to do I have one that likes to hide and it's hard to find the right kind of hiding hole, no matter what I provide she prefers under the bed.

Also, you may want to have her checked out. Cats hide when they are in pain, even if they don't appear to be (as I was oh so recently reminded by my Kitty. Where hiding = ear infection).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:24 PM

How long have you had her for?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 PM

I tried the spirit essences for Zoee when she was over grooming. Her fur has started growing back now so so far so good.

http://www.spiritessence.com/?action=ca ... tegory=fec

I used the obsession remedy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page