pulling out stitches - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

pulling out stitches

i brought my cat home from the vet (see earlier post, what is wrong with my cat). he was reallyattacked. worse than i thought. since he's shaved i can see how bad it is. I feel horrible. He is in ok spirits but seems to be annoyed with the stitches.. looks like he got about 15. poor thing. He has been pulling on them all day and managed to get one out. What can i do about that.. are they that easy to pull? he is on antibiotics for about 2 weeks.. the doctor thinks that he was attacked by a dog.. i am not sure. it looks bad either way..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Cat Addict

The only way I know to stop an animal from pulling out stiches is to get an e-collar from the vet or pet store.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:59 PM

Yeah the e-collar is your best bet. When my little Kota got spayed a few weeks ago she pulled all of her stitches out even though the vet gave us some bitter spray to put on her tummy. We kept her seperated from our other cat with the e-collar on so that she wouldnt lick her incision, then took it off when it closed on its own.

They are pretty cheap, like Kitty's mom said you can ask your vet for one or get one at a pet store. Some come with snaps, some tie on with a ribbon...Kota had the ribbon one and got it off once in a while, you just have to keep an eye on them, and make sure they get a break from it when they need to eat, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Jr. Cat

Ask your vet for an e-collar. They make soft collars and harder plastic ones. You can also try to put a babies t-shirt on your cat to see if that helps. It works for some but, not all.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks all i ended up getting a plastic e collar and he seems tobe doing quite wel with it . I am impressed.. so far the wounds seem to be healing and he is back in high spirits again.. thankfully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page