Cat Suddenly Hissing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Cat Suddenly Hissing

I have 2 male cats, Max and Sonny. Sonny recently spent 3 days in an animal hospital for a severe bladder infection, and now he is home and doing much better. Max, the older cat, has suddenly started hissing at Sonny and acting very mean toward him. This is very strange, because before Sonny's illness they were best buddies who cleaned each other and slept wrapped around each other. Sonny has tried to be affectionate with Max, but Max keeps hissing at him and batting at him with his paw. I can't understand why Max's behavior has changed. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Kristin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:30 PM

How long has Sonny been home again, it may be just that Max doesn't like a smell on him from the animal hospital and that is why he is hissing.

you could try buying some of those bath wipes and rubbing both of them so they smell the same or something?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:11 PM

I agree, Max is probably reacting more to the "scary" smell than anything. Cats are funny, they have a great sense of smell and can react very strongly based only on scent!

I remember a couple of years back we were fostering orphaned kittens. Our Shih Tzu (thinks he's a cat!) likes to mother kittens and they became very close. Well being spring the dog was due for a shave... when he returned from the groomers the kittens poofed themselves up, hissed, spit, and tried to attack the poor dog! It took a couple of days for them to remember him. Generally our cats don't recognize him right away when he gets his hair done but seeing six week old kittens out to 'get' him was rather funny (the dog wasn't so amused...).

I'm sure your kitties will settle down. Poor Sonny probably still smells like lots of scary medical stuff and other animals too. Even just rubbing him down with a blanket or bed the cats sleep on will probably make him smell much better (though you probably won't be able to tell what the big difference is!).

Feral Fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Banned

It's very common for cats to think a best cat pal home from the vet or hospital is a stranger for a while. As the above posts said, they smell different. Just be patient, it'll probably be OK in a day.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Senior Cat

Not only that they smell different, but scent is an excellent memory trigger. They remember that smell as being the place where they get touched by strangers, get shots and other things of that nature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page