paws in water bowl - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

paws in water bowl

I did a search on this topic and found that there's a few cats who dip their paws into their water/food and drink/eat off their paws. Antigone does something similar to that.. she dips her paw in the water and then starts drinking from the bowl. We took care of a friend's kitten once and she did the same thing. Just a dip and then drink.

The reason why I bring this up is because as some of you might know, Antigone has a huge splint on one front limb, and just now I watched her as she dipped the huge splint into the water bowl, take it out, and started drinking normally from the bowl. Before when she didnt have the splint she would do that, and I thought she was testing the temperature or something... but now I see her do it with her splint and it makes no sense!! (but then again, she's starting to think that huge peg leg is her own since she licks and cleans it regularly now).

So.. I wonder why some cats dip their paws in the water... anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:44 AM

paw drinking...

Paw drinking is about the only way my cat Mulder will drink, he very rarely drinks normal. His mother Fitty likes to skim or scoop the top of the water before/during drinking. And our other cat K2 kneeds the ground while drinking...the only normal drinker is Abyss (Mulder's brother).
Ever since Mulder was born he's been drinking this way. I'm not exactly sure why he or other cats do, but I think it's just about their personality and preference. Mulder favors his left paw-- in drinking, batting toys, etc--so it makes my think that cats do favor one way/thing over another. I'm just glad none of our cats are toilet drinkers
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 08:16 AM

Bailey Jane does this too. I always thought she was moving the surface of the water so she wouldn't stick her whole nose in the bowl. Now we have a tube dish for them. It acts like the old water coolers that send bubbles up when the water is disturbed. NOW SHE CHASES THE BUBBLES!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 12:49 PM

My First cat never did that But My Kiala does that sometimes. He'll always paw his food out of the bowl and eat it from the floor and same with his water. Sometimes he'll drink or eat directly from the bowl but the his head is so far to the end he can't even see the food or water and he just keeps doing his thing. I don't worry because as long as he is eating and drinking and playing I'm happy and he's happy.

He is afraid of Bubbles though. I got him catnip bubbles it scares the **** out of him when they pop.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:11 PM

I read about this on a Bengal information site(Envy does this too but Chaos does not) they stated the reason for doing this is to brush away any debris on the surface of the water so they can take a 'clean' drink. It goes back to their wild roots. Whether or not this is true I cannot say, but it makes sense.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Cool Cat

My Marsh does this, he'll paw at the water, and only then starts drinking. no biggie
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payge
I read about this on a Bengal information site(Envy does this too but Chaos does not) they stated the reason for doing this is to brush away any debris on the surface of the water so they can take a 'clean' drink. It goes back to their wild roots. Whether or not this is true I cannot say, but it makes sense.
Ohh now that is very interesting and makes sense...even though there tends not to be any debris in their water (except for the usual chunk of cat food that they fling outta their mouths so gracefully).

I just thought it was hilarious that Tiggy would dunk her huge peg leg into the water haha
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:20 AM

My cat does this, too. Makes a heck of a mess on the floor (he splashes) and if he's just been in the litter box, it messes up the water, too!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:11 PM

Our does it as well.
She also eats her food that way. Each individual piece she picks up whith her paw and eats it. I think she's part raccoon.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Yes! I finally separated the water bowl from the food bowl and its a little less messy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page