Several Questions Licking, talking, throwing up - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Several Questions Licking, talking, throwing up

Ok I just wanted to try and get some main questions covered in just ONE thread hopefully this will work!

My Kilala is healthy and adopted when he was about 2 yrs old so he's coming up on a HAPPY HAPPY birthday very soon. I suppose I have so many questions because he's so different then my last maine coon mix.

1. I was wondering if a "talker" is any different then any other cats? He meows constantly but not in a bad way just whenever he looks at me or my mom, or dad or his food bowl or some of my stuff animals. When I first got him he meowed for about 2 days straight but I think that was just his adjustment and he hates all other cats and the smell of my passed on cat was still around. So far the only difference with his meowing that I noticed from my last cat is he does a LOT more of it and where she seemed to be asking for things he seems to be DEMANDING.

2. I've heard the incesstant Licking can be a sign of bad health? Mine licks me all the time. But he doesn't have any health problems according to my Vet. Does anyone else's cat do this? I thought it might be a characteristic of his breed maybe because he's part Maine coon and I've read that they can have dog like characteristics. He always seems very happy and purring when he licks me too.

3. LASTLY He loves Catnip when I give it to him to play with but then the next day he throws up all over the house. Anyone else get this reaction? My last kitty had no effect at all with the catnip.

4. OK seriously this is the last question. Do male neutered cats go through cycles? or is this just his personality. It seems like at a certain time of the month he just isn't interested in eating at all and he's a lot more aggressive and will meow constantly walking around and get REALLY REALLY lovey and still keep meowing while your giving him his love. I know his neutered for a fact because the Shelter I got him from has the policy about it and also he's been to the Vet several times and everytime confirms he will never have kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I don't give it to him often at all maybe one every couple of months, cat nip that is.

Oh and he just licks me and himself and whatever he kneads on like his blankie, my blankie ( very bad) and his toy otter. Mostly likes himself and me. He really likes to lick my hands. Could it be a food smell thingie?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Banned

He likes you!! Allogrooming (grooming each other) is a cat thing. Maybe there's a smell that he likes, too. You could test that out by noting when he does it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Cool Cat

1. Some cats are talkers. MC's are often very chirpy, conversational talkers. Mine will even talk to herself. IME, the more you respond to the meows, the more meows you'll get (it's the process of "training the humans"). I love talkative cats, and Assumpta and I will meow back and forth at each other quite a bit, or she'll meow and I'll talk and she'll meow. Start to worry if the meowing becomes unusual, changes drastically in sound or frequency, or seems to be precipitated by touching a particular body part.

2. Excessive grooming can be a problem if he is licking himself bald or pulling his fur out. In longhaired cats, lots of grooming can cause hairballs, so daily brushing will help pull the dead fur out...the more you brush out, the less he'll swallow. Also, dry or itchy skin can cause excessive grooming activity, especially in the winter when the air is dry, so making sure that he gets enough fat in his diet can help with dry skin and dandruff.

3. Some cats do better with fresh (not dried) catnip. If he's having problems tolerating it, try growing some over the summer and see if he has the same reaction to the fresh stuff, which will be less powerful.

4. Male cats don't have "cycles," but their female owners may. My cat treats me very differently depending on what time of month it is. It doesn't have anything to do with her, she's just reacting to my changing physical state.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned

Yes, #4 is very perceptive. Do women put out pheromones that the cats could smell? I wish my cats could sense when I'm crabby and stay out of my way But it seems the opposite is true, that's when they seem to be most likely to be their naughtiest. Patience....deep breathing....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Yes, #4 is very perceptive. Do women put out pheromones that the cats could smell? I wish my cats could sense when I'm crabby and stay out of my way But it seems the opposite is true, that's when they seem to be most likely to be their naughtiest. Patience....deep breathing....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.....
Well, they have you well-trained, that's all.

I don't aim to speak for all women, but I know very well how my body works, and how my particular cat responds. However, I have a cycle with the relative force of a speeding locomotive that would make hamburger out of Superman himself. Even my husband says that with his inferior human nose, he can smell differences on my skin as the month progresses, so I'm sure that the cat can figure it out. We are currently at the part of the month when the cat is glued to me 24/7. The second I sit down, I have a cat in my lap. If I stand up, the cat stays attached. In less than two weeks, she'll be sitting beside me instead of in my lap, staring at me with flat ears, and acting very offended.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Regarding # 4

very Interesting but since I'm on this type of BC I don't get my cycles soooo I dunna what it could be. He does react when I upset if I'm really angry he meows a lot and keeps grabbing my leg letting me drag him around as I stomp around my house. Also when I'm sad he tends to stay away.

ALso Anyone else have Static problems with long to med hairs? i feel so bad for the lil guy but there is NO way to humidfy our Condo because of such huge ceilings = ( My mom is spoiling him trying to give him all these fatty wetfoods thinking his fur will get greasy and lessen. I dunna think it's working.

I don't think he's excessive grooming because he doesn't have any hairball problems and we give him hairball medication. He just like to lick me I guess. I do have this one Cinnamon bun Perfume by Demeter that Animals tend to go crazy over I've found. I had squirrels jump on me at the park, dogs follow me and of course my cat licking everywhere I put it. I think he's become accustomed to it now because I wear it everyday and he only tends to lick the hands.

and I LOVE that my cat is talkative it's SOOO Much fun just mewing back and forth and making him all confused. I'll hide under my blanket and meow and he'll come looking for me mewing all over my room till I expose myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page