update...and a new question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

update...and a new question

Hi everyone,

Penelope has been to see the vet for a 3rd time and we're waiting for blood test results. But I got a new litterbox, a much bigger one, and that has seemed to solve some of the biggest problems--she can't soak it completely, and I don't have to change it as often. In addition, she seems to be drinking less, so maybe she's just adjusting...we'll see.

Anyhow here's my new problem.
Penelope is very, very affectionate. She adores my boyfriend, who sleeps over a couple times a week. But she is showing him so much love that he can't sleep. She is constantly walking over to his pillow to get him to play at all hours of the night. She sits on his face, she licks his face, she licks his hands--she won't leave him alone. So far we haven't done anything more than picking her up and putting her on the floor next to the bed, because I am afraid that if she gets upset she will pee on yet another upholstered surface. But she just gets right back on the bed.
She doesn't do this with me. She'll wake me up in the morning to feed her (at 5am, thanks!) but she leaves me alone most of the night, choosing to sleep next to me in bed. I live in a studio apartment so it's not like I can put her in another room. I can't sleep at his place because I have to be home to feed her and change her litter. What can I do? I love having her in the bed with me so I am reluctant to train her to get off the bed altogether. But if this continues, it's my relationship with my boyfriend that will be headed for the litterbox!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Premier Cat

Oh boy, that's a tough one. I don't know how old she is but we have one cat that is obsessed with fleece blankets. Anywhere I place the fleece blanket that's where she'll lay. She also licked our faces and hands all night at the beginning but then it stopped at about 4-5 months. I don't know your story about her, is she a young kitten? If so, there's a good chance she'll grow out of this, but try the blanket!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:59 PM

Let's see, if you put her in the bathroom & close the door she'll just cry all nite (bad idea). Hmmmm, how about putting a harness on her with a leash, attaching it to something in the room, give her a nice snuggy place to lie on & hope for the best? Nah, bad idea again. OK, cats don't like the smell of citrus (I think I read that). How about hosing your b/f down with a citrus aftershave? Wrap him in tin foil?? stick 2-sided tape on his face & hands???

I know........turn down the heat & sleep under the covers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Senior Cat

Pookie you are too funny!

I would go with what AddFran posted. Try to find something she loves to lay on and put it down at the foot of the bed. Also you have to explain to your BF that he has to ignore her when she does this in bed. When she receives attention for her behavior, she learns that when she does this thing, she gets attention. It will take time for her to understand why the attention has stopped, but eventually she will learn that bedtime is for sleeping. If you do decide to move her, make sure to give a no! when you do it. This way she learns that word as something she shouldn't do. I use no and ssst! with my cats and they have learned that those 2 sounds mean stop what you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page