Does she need to loose weight? *Need more advise please* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Does she need to loose weight? *Need more advise please*

I took Kiddles to the vet to get her annual check up. Everything is fine the only thing is that I asked the vet if she was overweight and he said as long as she stays less than 10lbs she would be fine. Kiddles use to weigh 10.9 but now she weighs 10.7 does she really need to loose the .7? She doesn't eat alot usually twice wet food and 1 cup of dry food throughout the day. She stays really active.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Does she need to loose weigh?

One cup of dry food in addition to wet is a LOT! If you could cut that (at least) in half, I'm sure she's lose the extra weight. I don't know a lot about food portions, so you'll probably get more precise advice than that.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Is it bad if she eats 1 cup in two days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

How much wet food does she get in one day?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

She gets a pouch of Friskies fine cuts (3oz) a day. I divide the pouch in two.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

I would think you could double her pouch feeding and give her 1/4 cup of dry food, at the most.

Wet food in cans may be cheaper than pouches. I know when I was checking them out, they were kind of expensive.

There are some real nutritional experts on this Forum and hopefully they'll chime in.

On another note, she doesn't sound fat. 7 ounces? There are some cats that are 5-10 lbs. overweight here. But wet food is healthier than dry, so the switch would be better for more reasons than weight.

Could we see pictures?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

She has always been on Friskies can food and was getting a can a day. About two weeks ago she stopped eating it and I couldn't figure why but I noticed she would eat the sauce of the food but not eat the food so I figured she was tired of eating the can food so I looked for something with a lot of gravy. I went to the store and got her the pouches that I know have a lot of gravy and so I got her those for the time been until I can find her a can food that will not upset her tummy and that she will eat. My mom tried to feed her some cheap food and that gave her the runs. I personally don't find her overweight but since he mentioned that I wanted to make sure that it is still acceptable that she is only 7oz overweight. Here is a picture of her its not the most recent but she still looks like that. I will get a picture uploaded later.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

She's beautiful!

I would just cut in half the dry food.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I can do that but I forgot to mention that I have a male foster kitten that I feed him the same time, same food, and the same amount. He will turn 8 months old this month and since he is a kitten he has a great appetite. He is not fat at all he is actually on the slim side. How will I go about feeding them both its easy to feed them the wet food because I put him in the bathroom and Kiddles eats in the kitchen but the dry food stays out and when one bowl is empty they go eat from the other one if there is still food.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Does she need to loose weight?

Maybe put out half the amount of dry food and feed the kitten an extra pouch of wet?

I was hoping some other members would chime in here, I'm really no expert at this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page