Problem with fleas - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Problem with fleas

Any suggestions on this? I live in a large one floor house and we have 5 cats (but one of them seems to stay outdoors 100% of the time). All of the cats have fleas, lots of them! We have been giving them the FrontLine medication against fleas as recommended, once per month. This helps for a short time, but then the fleas are back.

I would suppose that the problem is that the fleas are present in many locations in the house. We have been vacuuming and cleaning often, but this apparently is not good enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what can be done?

Thanks!

Steve, Denmark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Problem with fleas

Sounds like you need to flea bomb the house...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Cool Cat

If the cats go out, you may need to treat the yard area as well, but I'm not sure what you'd use for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Tom Cat

Ouchie. Delt with this one this summer. I tried flea baths, sprays, vacuuming twice a day, flea traps, etc. All of it kept the fleas under control, but they never went away forever and if I skipped the routine for a day, I'd have fleas jumping at my feet first thing in the am. I feel your pain! I started using Advantage, and that at least kept them off Sebastian, but my traps were still catching fleas so I knew they weren't gone completely. I ended up moving in August, not because of the problem, but at least now we're flea free.

I think bombing the house and having the yard sprayed is a good solution. Just remember that if there are a lot of fleas around your neighborhood, they'll keep coming back. You can't get rid of the fleas forever until you deal with the source, which may be really hard to do (in my case, I think they were coming from furry little rodents -- shudder). The trap is a good way to check how many of them are still lingering around though. Get an aluminum pie tin, fill it with a little bit of water and squirt in a few drops of dish soap. Then position a reading light or some other type of spotlight directly over it and place it on the floor. At night, the fleas are attracted to the light and the warmth of the tin. The jump in and drown. It's gross, but oddly satisfying to see all the black specks in the morning.

Good luck!

Robin and...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 02:10 PM

I had the same problem and I used Frontline on Kiddles but that did nothing to stop the fleas so I had to change to Advantage and that worked like a charm. I aslo sprayed the yard, vaccumed the house, and washed most of the stuff she hanged around with hot soapy water. What about trying to sprinkle Borax? I heard that helps. Good luck!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Cat Addict

For outdoors, nematodes (microscopic worms) can also work, as long as you don't have sudden cold weather. They eat flea larvae and other insects. Also, diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled in the garden to keep flea population down - the powder is made from fossilized shells whose sharp edges cut the shell of fleas causing them to dry out...

Indoors, the other posters have listed a lot of ideas, flea combing helps if you cats will let you, you can also use borax or other natural flea powders on rugs, chairs and other places where fleas might hide - vacuum the powder up after letting it sit according to the directions.

Fran
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Cat

I say get some Advantage. BEST STUFF I found for flea infestation. Within 2 days, no more fleas.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Cat

I have to agree with the advantage comments.

Jack had gotten fleas on the farm and case of worms, had him wormed at the vet and got advantage for the fleas. It keeps them off. I dont have a problem with fleas in the house I know advantage kills fleas in areas where cats come in contact with but not sure how effective it is in that regard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page