Need help with picking a food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Need help with picking a food

Well, I haven't been on here in awhile, but I need your help again guys!

I have all of my pets on Natural Balance, and I want it to stay that way, and I was going to order online because my local pet stores are charging me the price of a 16.5 bag for a 6.6 lb bag, yikes! So anyways, ordering a 35lb and a 16.5 lb bag is making shipping a killer! So, I was wondering, if you had to pick any of these dry cat foods (yes they are getting wet as well, and this is just incase NB doesn't work out) which ones would you pick?

Here are my options:

Taste of the Wild
Felidae
Nutro
Chicken Soup

I'm thinking Nutro is the best? Or am I wrong?

Oh, have you guys heard of Premium Edge? Is that good? I wasn't sure about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Need help with picking a food

hmmm, my least favorite of those would actually be the Nutro (based on looking at nutro Natural Choice adult cat food) because it has Corn Gluten Meal and Menadione. Taste of the Wild is grain free and high protein so that's good, although it does use a lot of Potatoes/sweet potatoes to make up for that. If I did not suspect that my cats were sensitive to potatoes (as I do) I would probably go with Taste of the Wild. I switched off of Felidae after they changed their formula because they downgraded by adding a lot of grains and both my cats rejected it. Chicken Soup does not look too bad but is too grainy for my liking, no "bad" grains but there is Barley, Rice, oatmeal and Millet, so I'd say it's along the same lines of Felidae, Felidae has Barley, Brown Rice and Millet I believe. I looked at Premium Edge and it does not look bad, I don't see any red flags, I just don't know of anyone's who's fed or recommended it so I don't know about the company or if it's been in any sort of recall, has poor quality control etc. It has a nice high protein and the formula I'm looking at does not appear to have any grains, but like TOTW uses a lot of potatoes.

The only food I'd avoid is the Nutro as that has things that for me, make the food "off limits" the rest don't have any of those ingredients but some are too grainy for my liking or have things my cats are sensitive to etc. If I had to choose one for most cats it would be Taste of the Wild (plus it looks like it's much cheaper than Natural Balance). You'll have to see how your cats do on it though to really know which is best. Once you clear out all the lesser quality food you find out which is the best of the best by trying it on your cats because each cat is different.

Hope this helps a bit!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Definately helps! I'm trying to see what good without breaking the budget, and what's local, so far all the good retailers aren't close to me, so shipping is a killer! However, I won't have ot order food for awhile, so hopefully, I will get coupons in by then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Cat

I've recently switched my cats from dry Nutro to a mix of Solid Gold Indigo Moon and Wellness Core, which are grain free. The Solid Gold does use potato as the "glue" to hold everything together, but for my cats that works much better than anything with any type of grain, which one of my younger boys is very sensitive to. My older girl will NOT eat wet food, which really bothers me. I've tried for years and years, and will continue to try giving her wet. The boys are gradually being given more wet food and less dry food, so they're into the Wellness canned foods and are really enjoying them. I get all of that at Petco, and sometimes I can find it on sale or I can get store coupons that help with the price a bit. Hope that helps out some, I definitely think getting cats off of any type of food with grains is a good thing!

Andi
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar

Of those, the Taste Of The Wild would be your best choice.

Nutro is mediocre in quality and overpriced for what you get. Felidae just went through a formula change and is no longer a food I'll reccomend. Chicken Soup is good, and a reasonable price point, but never one I've strongly reccomended (it does have a high grain content IIRC).

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page