What kind of shampoo/conditioner should I use for a persian? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

What kind of shampoo/conditioner should I use for a persian?

I got my cat Hamlet (Hambone) from a shelter a few months ago. He's about 7-10 years old and he was in real rough shape when he got here but he LOVES to be groomed so it was easy to clean him up. I have been using baby shampoo and pantene conditioner. His tail is real scruffy looking because he was recently nutered so I put the bulk of the conditioner on his tail because that hair looks real brittle. Is there any shampoo or conditioner that I should be using? I give him a bath about once a month. Will that irritate his skin? It hasnt yet and after a bath he's sooooooo soft! I'd like any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Re: What kind of shampoo/conditioner should I use for a persian?

Anyone??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

I have two long-haired cats and I have no reason to give them baths. I take them to a groomer a couple times a year so their ears and butt can get cleaned and all their extra hair can get combed out really well. Is there a specific reason you're bathing your kitty?

It's so wonderful that you adopted an adult, by the way. Any pictures?

If you add fish oil to his food, that helps skin and fur, and feeding wet food also helps.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

He seems to get dirty fast. I have all hard wood floors so he gets dirtier than if I had carpets. I also have a dog and they play all day together (good exercise for them both) so he often has some dog drool on him. And he seems to be greasy. the shelter that I got him from said that persians have greasy skin and he'd need a bath often. It's to the point now that I dont need to bathe him as much. I put him on some good quality dry food so he has something to eat whenever he wants and I give him half a can of wet food a day. Is that enough? Should I up it to half a can twice a day? I'd LOVE to get him groomed, but I'm a college student with a mortgage so I have to be careful with my budget. Once i'm out of school, he'll be like the cat food commercial cat, eating out of a crystal goblet.
Here are some pics:

Hamlet:

Me and the Ham Bone:
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Well, don't I feel foolish! Apparently, Persians are an entirely different story. I found a great site for grooming and bathing:

http://www.pelaqitapersians.com/persian ... oming.html

Quote:
Degreasing a Persian Cat

I use my kitchen sink to degrease and bathe my Persians. The first step in a proper bath for a Persian is to degrease it.

After all the mats are removed, it is time to degrease the coat prior to bathing. There are a few good products that I recommend: Goop, Dawn dishwashing detergent, and House of An-Ju One Step Degreaser.
It goes on with detailed instructions for further steps.

Hamlet is a handsome little devil!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

thank you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page