Ear Cleaner - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Ear Cleaner

Hello Everyone! Hoping someone can help me choose an ear cleaner for my cat. I have 4 cats and one of them
is prone to bacterial ear infections. The cleaner I get from the vet is expensive ($25 for 8oz.) and since I am out of work
right now I'm hoping to find something I can purchase online that is cheaper. Since I have to clean her ears daily it gets to be a big expense. I was just looking around online and my head is spinning with all the different choices. I would prefer to purchase something instead of making it myself. I really had no clue as to how many different types there are out there,such as with or without alcohol, cortisone, salicylic acid, all natural, etc. The current one from the vet does not list ingredients, it just states that it's a non irritant, non greasy fluid with a light fragrance (Sogeval Douxo Micellar Solution).
I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

Re: Ear Cleaner

There's new research on human ears that says cleaning ears is detrimental to their health. Ear wax turns out to be a natural barrier and thus protects the ear. So I wouldn't be surprised if your daily cleaning is actually encouraging infection. Practically everything you want to use is also irritating. If you and your vet still think it's necessary, I'd just take a cotton ball, put some unscented mineral oil on it, twist it up, and use that to clean the ears. The mineral oil is non-irritating and coats the skin on the inside of the pinnae much like natural oils and ear wax.

BTW, I learned this from my vet; that's how she cleans cat ears.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Jr. Cat

Right avoid things such as mineral spirits or turpentine. hehe just kidding, I actually saw that in some article from purina I think it was, not to use that to clean a cat's paws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73
hehe just kidding, .
I hope so. I think you're confusing mineral oil with mineral spirits, which are two considerably different substances.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I certainly wouldn't be cleaning the ears of the cats that don't have an issue to begin with. Leaving liquid in their ears on a daily basis would only encourage bacteria to grow. If the cat with the bacterial problems really needs daily cleaning (and I think that's excessive, maybe weekly would be more appropriate), then I would do as Tim suggests and use mineral oil, but be certain that it doesn't get down in the canal.

BTW, I had a cat that came to me with a yeast infection in her ears. Once the meds were finished, I never cleaned her ears again for the 11 years I had her and never had an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input! She DEFINITELY needs them cleaned at least every other day to keep the build up at bay.
She is 4 yrs. old and my DH found her playing in the street and brought her home. She was only 3 mos. at the time.
I took her to the vet right away to have her checked out and she thought she had mites, but after testing said it was a bacterial infection and she was given a round of antibiotics and had her ears flushed. I was told to clean her ears everyday for 2 weeks and then after the infection clears I should clean them once or twice a week, which I was doing and her ears looked good for a couple months after treatment, but then soon after I started to see the same thing and this has been going on for 4 yrs. I asked if this could be happening because of an allergy, (which I think it is) and was told yes it could be. I tried to figure out on my own by the process of elimination what she might be allergic to and have come up empty. It's just very frustrating!
She has seen 2 vets and they basically say the same thing, clean the ears once or twice a week, which by the way is NOT enough because it builds up very quickly and also was told that some cats are more prone to infection. As far as an allergy I was given AllerG-3 capsules(omega 3 fatty acid supplement). They are big, so I was told to puncture it and squeeze it in her food. Well, she has always been super picky with her food and she wants NO PART of it. So sorry to ramble on.
Thanks for your help and I will try the mineral oil and see what happens, it sure can't hurt.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

What happens if you don't clean her ears; ie just let the build-up occur naturally?

How about your other cats? Don't they clean her ears for her?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

coaster- She never lets my other cats anywhere near her. If I would let it build up she would have to have her ears flushed again. I believe it's allergies, just don't know to what, but I am going to try again to figure it out, this time I will eliminate things for a longer period of time. Once I have the money I am going to take her to a cats only clinic for another opinion.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Cat

i probably no help because i do not know much about cat problems. but in dogs if they have a chronic ear problems that its normally a food allergy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Cool Cat

I have a cat with polyps in his ears. When he came to the shelter he had mites, and was on a 3x/week ear drop regimine. I took him to my own vet, the ear drops were changed to a different type, and once daily for 2 weeks, then he returned for another cleaning. At the third cleaning, his ears were MUCH better, and I now have a bottle from the vet that I used every 4-6 weeks (depending on buildup). The polyps don't allow the ear wax to drain the way it should, and the resulting buildup leads to bacterial infections.
By cleaning his ears when I see him starting to scratch them obsessively, we avoid the bacterial infections (so far).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page