Chronic respiratory infection? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Chronic respiratory infection?

We have a shorthaired girl named Angel who has had problems with some sort of a respiratory infection. Every month or so she'll start wheezing and having slight breathing problems and the vet will prescribe an antibiotic and then it'll get better... and then she'll get it the next month. We, and the vet, can't figure out what is wrong... Could it be something she's eating or maybe something in the litter or carpets or something?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Chronic respiratory infection?

What sort of diagnostic testing has your vet done to determine that it's an infection? Could it be asthma, instead?

It sounds like a second opinion might be in order. Sometimes a different vet looks at the same symptoms with a fresh set of eyes and different perspective. Apparently your current vet can't figure this one out. Time to go elsewhere.

Laurie
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Our vet doesn't seem to make any effort, which frustrates me. He's a good vet and he knows what he's talking about, it's just that he doesn't really do extensive searching to find out what's wrong. Hm, I've never thought it might be asthma...

I believe you're right. A fresh set of eyes would be wonderful, I'm going to see if I can schedule an appointment elsewhere. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Cool Cat

I adopted a cat who had previously lived in a hoarder house with 93 other cats, and he had had an untreated URI which warped his nasal passages. He is at risk developing URIs because of this. I give him a daily dose of L-Lysine in his wet food every evening. I don't know how much this has helped, but he has been relatively healthy since we got him in March.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page