I just don't know what to do anymore - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

I just don't know what to do anymore

So as you all know Satan has had some health issues going on lately from his cuts, to the weird fur/skin thing and then on the day of his vet visit he rolled in raid.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53446

We took him to the vet and she said he was fine just needed to run it's course.

Well it's been almost a week now and he's just not looking himself or acting himself. I took a peak inside the crate that he's living in and his fur has the appearence of being wet...but it's not. He's hissing at myself and my mom which he never does so I know he doesn't feel good. Do cats sweat through their skin? The crate is located in the corner of the kitchen and we have hot water pipes running under the ground so the floor is warm. He ususally lays there in winter to get warm so I'm wondering if the fact that he's there in the crate could be causing the fur reaction...like sweating and that causes the fur to seperate like it's wet. I'm also wondering if stress could cause it because he no longer is allowed in the bedroom because we don't want him to hurt himself again...plus it has to be cleaned.I just don't want him to live under my bed anymore...the crate is a giant dog crate...plenty of room and he comes and goes as he pleases although when my stepdad is home he doesn't come out. I'm at a loss

I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm just completely done with all of this emotionally and financially...I can't afford anymore vet visits and he can't go to the pound (he'd be put to sleep cus he has feral tendencies and doesn't like people or other animals) and i wouldn't want to send him there anyway because he's my baby!

help...any ideas would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Premier Cat

Re: I just don't know what to do anymore

I'm having a little bit of a hard time understanding exactly what's going on.
So, a while back he had gotten cut up somehow. He recovered from that. At the same time he got into the Raid (probably a good idea not to use those products around pets at all) and recovered? Or has he not been right since? Meanwhile, he's also developed some sort of rash or skin problem. AND NOW his fur is all clumpy, he's hiding and hissing at you. Is that about right?
Well, with all that's going on, I would take him back to the vet and get a full work up (blood and urine) but here are my thoughts. The skin thing could be just residue from the injury or an allergy of some sort. If it coincides with the Raid incident, I'd guess it's either a bad reaction or a chemical burn. It could also be flea allergies. It's very common to get patches of scabby skin from itchy flea bites. If not, I'd start trying to see if it's something in his food. What is he eating? And eliminate as many environmental allergens as you can: scented/anti microbial litter, air fresheners, things like that.
As for the clumpy, wet looking fur and hissing, that's much more worrisome. When a cat is sick their fur often looks like what you've described. Either from lack of grooming or just plain sickness. Especially, because of the Raid thing, I would be very concerned about kidney or liver damage. He may have gotten enough for his little body to not be able to filter it out.
I know it's upsetting and frustrating, but it's all part of having a pet. Sometimes they get injured, get into trouble or become ill, just like children, and they depend on you to take care of them. I really think he needs to get back to the vet pronto.

Victoria
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Clumpy fur is often a sign of dehydration, and dehydration can make a cat feel VERY ill. I'd be worried about renal failure with the Raid exposure, too. I agree that he REALLY needs to be seen by your vet again and have a complete blood workup. Perhaps your vet or another vet in your area would be willing to work out a payment plan with you. Perhaps you can even barter work for the vet bill. It just really sounds like your cat's in trouble - hiding, hissing, poor coat, history of medical mishaps - none of this bodes well for him.

Is he eating and drinking? Is he drinking excessively or not at all? If he's dehydrated as I suspect, your vet can teach you how to administer subQ fluids at home to save money. Until you can get him to the vet, do whatever you can to get more fluid into his system. Mix canned cat food with hot water to turn it into a soup that he can lap up. Put water bowls all over your house. Spike his water with tuna juice or salt-free, onion-free, garlic-free chicken broth.

I do hope you can work out another vet visit for him. It sounds like he needs veterinary attention as quickly as possible.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
I'm having a little bit of a hard time understanding exactly what's going on.
So, a while back he had gotten cut up somehow. He recovered from that. At the same time he got into the Raid (probably a good idea not to use those products around pets at all) and recovered? Or has he not been right since? Meanwhile, he's also developed some sort of rash or skin problem. AND NOW his fur is all clumpy, he's hiding and hissing at you. Is that about right?
Well, with all that's going on, I would take him back to the vet and get a full work up (blood and urine) but here are my thoughts. The skin thing could be just residue from the injury or an allergy of some sort. If it coincides with the Raid incident, I'd guess it's either a bad reaction or a chemical burn. It could also be flea allergies. It's very common to get patches of scabby skin from itchy flea bites. If not, I'd start trying to see if it's something in his food. What is he eating? And eliminate as many environmental allergens as you can: scented/anti microbial litter, air fresheners, things like that.
As for the clumpy, wet looking fur and hissing, that's much more worrisome. When a cat is sick their fur often looks like what you've described. Either from lack of grooming or just plain sickness. Especially, because of the Raid thing, I would be very concerned about kidney or liver damage. He may have gotten enough for his little body to not be able to filter it out.
I know it's upsetting and frustrating, but it's all part of having a pet. Sometimes they get injured, get into trouble or become ill, just like children, and they depend on you to take care of them. I really think he needs to get back to the vet pronto.
Actually not really these are the series of events...

Found him limping well over a month ago. Found out he cut himself on something (not sure what still haven't been able to find the culprate) in a few different places. Got him to the vet, got him stitched up and he was in a cast and a cone for a few weeks.

After getting his cone and cast off about a week later I noticed a weird tough skin on his outter arm by one of his cuts. It was like a giant peice of dandruff. Was concerned enough to call the vet and made an appointment for a few days later...

Visit to the vet day came. Woke up from a text from my step-dad saying that he sprayed raid because he saw 3 giant waterbugs from outside. He forgot about Satan and went to work. We (my mother and I) know better...we never use that inside the house. Infact the raid he used was for outdoors. I walked out to find Satan with raid in his fur, his arms, his face...etc.

Rushed him to the vet because of the raid. She said because we weren't sure what time he infact got into the raid and it was HOURS after I woke up that I found him. It was between 8am and 12pm that he did and we didn't get him to the vet till 3pm....so the time elapsed. She said we'd just need to keep an eye on him for 72 hours to make sure he's not convulsing. The skin issue became secondary and she basically wrote it off as nothing to worry about and it would clear up on it's own.

I forgot to mention while at the vet that because he's not the nicest kitty because he was a feral she prescribed him Cyproheptadine. I'm wondering if this is the possible reason for him not feeling well ontop of the whole raid thing.

I can't afford the vet...I'm well in debt because of the credit I've had to use to take him to the vet in the last year. I don't have a job right now so it's hard enough making the payments on the credit cards that I maxed out on him. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see what she thinks. I think maybe if she's wrong they should do tests for free because I told her over and over that something was wrong.

I was looking at his face right now...his poor eyes he looks sick. His mouth is crusty around the edges, his nose is dry yet it's running and the fluid coming out bubbles when he breathes. He's either sneezing or sighing (not often but I've heard him twice since he's been laying on the couch with me).
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief
Clumpy fur is often a sign of dehydration, and dehydration can make a cat feel VERY ill. I'd be worried about renal failure with the Raid exposure, too. I agree that he REALLY needs to be seen by your vet again and have a complete blood workup. Perhaps your vet or another vet in your area would be willing to work out a payment plan with you. Perhaps you can even barter work for the vet bill. It just really sounds like your cat's in trouble - hiding, hissing, poor coat, history of medical mishaps - none of this bodes well for him.

Is he eating and drinking? Is he drinking excessively or not at all? If he's dehydrated as I suspect, your vet can teach you how to administer subQ fluids at home to save money. Until you can get him to the vet, do whatever you can to get more fluid into his system. Mix canned cat food with hot water to turn it into a soup that he can lap up. Put water bowls all over your house. Spike his water with tuna juice or salt-free, onion-free, garlic-free chicken broth.

I do hope you can work out another vet visit for him. It sounds like he needs veterinary attention as quickly as possible.

Laurie
I don't think he's dehydrated...he has access to water at all times and even if he's away from his water source he'll "ask" me for my water...well rather he'll damand it. Like last night I had a glass of milk and he insisted on jumping on my lap and pawing at my cup. I got up and got him his own cup with water filled to the top and he was a happy camper.

I realize why he was hissing at us...we were very very stressed when we saw his fur. My mom was freaking out and acting a fool...and I was yellin because she wouldn't calm down. I think we stressed him out by our emotions and behavior. After everyone went to sleep I went to the crate and he came right out to me meowing and wanting to be petted.

He's eating and drinking normally.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeeeka
I was looking at his face right now...his poor eyes he looks sick. His mouth is crusty around the edges, his nose is dry yet it's running and the fluid coming out bubbles when he breathes. He's either sneezing or sighing (not often but I've heard him twice since he's been laying on the couch with me).
These are extremely serious signs. This cat could die. You need to get him to a vet ASAP. Dont let him suffer like that. If you cant afford to help him please call around to rescues and let them take this cat from you so they can help him. This is serious.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

Please let us know what your vet says. Did they at least give him a bath or do something to remove the Raid??

What vet do you go to? I remember you asking me one time who my vet is....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Please let us know what your vet says. Did they at least give him a bath or do something to remove the Raid??

What vet do you go to? I remember you asking me one time who my vet is....
Nope because we bathed him before we took him.

His normal vet is VCA at Grossmont. The vet that did his stitches was Pet Emergency & Specialty Center in La Mesa off Jackson.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeeeka
These are extremely serious signs. This cat could die. You need to get him to a vet ASAP. Dont let him suffer like that. If you cant afford to help him please call around to rescues and let them take this cat from you so they can help him. This is serious.
I cannot take him tonight...I have no car and I don't have the money honestly. I'm going to call his Dr. tomorrow when I wake up. He's fine right now...I brushed him and he's looking alot better. He got fresh air and his eyes look better. Right now he's laying right next to me purring.

Also, I wouldn't take him to a rescue or the pound because they would not fix him they'd opt to put him down and that in my opinion is not the best thing to do...to just give up on him because he doesn't like other people. He hates men and hisses and swats and is very aggressive towards other people.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

The thing about dehydration is that the more a cat drinks, the more likely he is to be dehydrated. A cat who begs for water is begging for a reason, and that's likely to be because he can't properly hydrate himself through water consumption alone. This is a frequent problem with cats in renal failure. These cats can spend all day with their faces in a water bowl and still not take in enough water to adequately hydrate their bodies. Damaged kidneys simply can't utilize fluids efficiently. That's why caretakers of cats in chronic renal failure often administer subQ fluids at home to help keep their cats hydrated.

You can get an idea of your cat's hydration status by pinching up a tent of loose skin along his back and seeing how quickly it springs back and flattens out again when you release it. It should flatten immediately and completely. If part of the skin remains pinched up for a second or two, that indicates dehydration. You can also feel his gums with your fingertip. His gums should feel slimey. If they feel tacky, instead, that is another indicator of dehydration. And of course as I've already mentioned, a dehydrated cat's coat will look clumpy. Dehydration can have a lot of serious effects on a cat's body and should be addressed quickly.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page