Dehydration? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Dehydration?

Hello everyone. As many of you may know I am new to the forum and recently got a kitten from a local shelter. I have only had him for about a week but I have noticed he drinks A LOT, and when I tent his skin it slowly goes back down (which is a sign of dehydration). He doesn't have any nasal/ocular discharge, but the shelter said he had been exposed to URI. Could this be what is causing the dehydration? He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms of URI (he sneezes sometimes but not a lot maybe once or twice every other day). Could it be a mild URI or just a cold? He seems kinda skinny, but he is eating and drinking.

Any advice would help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Dehydration?

How are his eliminations? If he has diarrhea, that can very quickly and severely dehydrate a kitten.

You're not giving him any dairy products, right? No milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.? Many felines are lactose intolerant and can't handle dairy products made from cow's milk. If that was the case, though, he would have diarrhea.

Dehydration can be very serious in a kitten, so I'd recommend mixing warm water into his food, or, if you're feeding kibble, soak it in hot water until it's taken up as much water as it can absorb. That'll help put some more fluid into his system.

It sounds like it's time for a vet check with your regular vet, too.

Laurie
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Re: Dehydration?

Thanks for your reply! I ended up taking him to the vet and she said he was just a little dehydrated.. she gave him this broth/canned food to try and get him eating more .. She said he was fine and to just encourage more eating and drinking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page