Pupil sometimes larger/smaller than other but not often - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Pupil sometimes larger/smaller than other but not often

I have a black kitten who's 6 months old. He's a 'normal' cat, but sometimes, not often but I notice perhaps once every few days, he has one pupil larger than the other. I've looked losely and tried different amounts of light on different eyes and don't see anything wrong.

They dilate and contract normally and to the same size. It's an odd thing. I took photos on my phone one night when it showed up so I''m not imagining it. There's a slightly older photo of it as well so it's been a month or two:

My mum won't take him to the vet saying it's "just the light", whatever that means, and also cos of money.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Pupil sometimes larger/smaller than other but not often

I don't know, but...

Is it possible that the light is shining from the left side of his face, and the bridge of his nose is shading his right eye and that is why the pupils are different sizes?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Pupils are supposed to contract and dilate at the same time so I wouldn't think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Premier Cat

Oh. Well, then, not to scare you, but my kitty Reilly had that happen to his eyes fairly regularly. Reilly was born some time in early 1999 and we took him in when he was about 8-10mo old. He passed away last year. He had a severe problem going on for many years, I had always thought he was a 'klutzy' kitty, but when I noticed in 2004 that he was getting more and more uncoordinated I took him to the vet. She was stumped. Bloodtests didn't show anything wrong, but he was definitely having trouble with his motor skills, most noticeable in his back legs.

She offered several options, but I had to choose the one that cost the least, which was cortisone shots every 3-5mo. They did no good and over the years, Rei progressed from hesitating with every step of his back legs, to wobbling when he ran, to being too uncoordinated to run, to walking 10 steps and then suddenly sitting to the side because the muscles would give out, to only being able to make 2-3 steps before falling into the sitting position and finally to having to drag himself on the carpet with his front paws. The vet consulted with her peers and the unanimous consensus was a tumor in his spine...so no amount of treatment would have been able to save him. I'm glad I didn't opt for the expensive treatments, but with our vet we were able to give him many years of love and enjoyment by accomodating his disability.

I never did ask or find out about his pupils being different sizes, but I don't think it was affected by his health problems of his back legs. Perhaps you could call your vet office and ask about it, though I suspect most vet offices will ask you to bring the cat in for an exam to rule out any neurological problems.
Heidi

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Oh no.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Cool Cat

Actually, the picture that you showed us appears to have the light coming from the cats left side. It is normal in that situation for the left pupil to be smaller, to reduce the amount of light coming in. The right pupil is larger because there is less light on that side of the face.
Do a test on yourself. Get a flashlight and go in the bathroom, in front of the mirror. Turn the room light off, with the flashlight on and hold it near one side of the face (don't shine it in your eye or point toward the mirror). The eye on the side with the flashlight should have a smaller pupil than the other eye. Move the flashlight to the other side of the face and see what happens.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 PM

Does your kitty show any other symptoms?

This is a good link and may give you some info, but it doesn't give a specific reason for your kitty's problem.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/anisocoria ... age1.aspxI

I located a couple of articles that mentioned FeLV cats might exhibit anisocoria (uneven pupils) as well, which is why I am asking if there are other syptoms.

http://www.moorevet.com/Feline/FeLV.html

You can do an internet search for "anisocoria in cats" for more info if you want.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

He doesn't have any other symptoms. I've done a lot of google searching but couldn't find anything about temporary uneven pupils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4
Actually, the picture that you showed us appears to have the light coming from the cats left side. It is normal in that situation for the left pupil to be smaller
That's not true, both pupils should contract and dilate equally, and when I tested it his does. It's just on the odd occasion they're unequal.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 01:53 AM

I think my first link wasn't right...I fixed it (I hope).

http://www.petplace.com/cats/anisocoria ... page1.aspx

I did find something about intermittent anisocoria on this veterinary webpage, but it's specialized lingo for vets and diagnosing diseases, so it's not very useful. If you look about halfway down under "Ophthalmology", it mentions intermittent anisocoria and connects it with a FeLV....
"3. Intermittent fluctuating anisocoria, think FeLV".

It's also mentioned in #5 of the Neurologic section.
"5. Urinary incontinence and periodic anisocoria think of FeLV or FIV infection."

http://www.mvma.org/convention_info_sma ... zencat.asp .

I don't want to alarm you unnecessarily, but I do think it's worth having the FeLV test run to rule it out. From what I understand, the disease manifests itself in different ways and the only way to know is to test for it. Good luck and let us know if you find anything else.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi, I rang the vet about it and got a call back after one had been consulted and I was told it's normal for cats to sometimes have odd eyes.

But that worries me, why is it normal if I'm getting all this talk of leukemia, brain tumours and ear mites from others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page