Fleas - help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Fleas - help!

Hi everyone, longtime lurker, first-time poster.

A week ago I discovered some fleas on my 1-year-old kitty, Charlotte. She's indoor-only so I figured I could skip a month or two of flea prevention. Well, I may have tracked in some fleas somehow, because now she's got em! I know better about skipping the flea prevention now, but I've still got the fleas to deal with.

I put some Frontline on her the second day I saw the fleas. I also gave her a bath with baby shampoo (disaster, but we survived), vacuumed a ton, did a lot of hot water laundry with Borax, and set up little flea traps (bowls of water under lamps at nighttime). I only caught one flea in the trap, and I'm still combing fleas of Charlotte. And now I'm a little itchy, too. I thought the Frontline was supposed to knock these guys out?!

I then read something online about alternating between Frontline and Advantage every month to knock out fleas that might be resistant to the other brand. So I've got some Advantage coming to me in the mail. But really, I'm so frustrated at the Frontline not killing the fleas on her like I thought it would that I don't think I can wait that long.

Is it safe to apply the Advantage to her as soon as I get it? If I were to continue with the Frontline, I would be applying the next dose on the first week of November. But do I have to wait until then to apply another brand of flea prevention? I'm getting desperate here.

Aside from that, anyone have any other tips to knock these critters out? I'm about to get some space bags for all my seasonal clothes and linens in an effort to keep the fleas from finding more places to deposit their eggs. But maybe that's overkill. Should I just put the clothes and linens in a suitcase in a closet?

Charlotte and I thank you a TON in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Fleas - help!

I didn't have a good result with Frontline and I know others who haven't either. Yet some swear by it. I don't know why. I love Advantage though! Since I've been using it, I haven't had to treat the house at all. I would check with your vet or the manufacturer to see if you can apply it early. In the meantime, I'd use a flea comb nightly.
Have you used the Boric acid all over the house? If not, put your kitty in the bathroom, sprinkle Borax all over the house, including couches etc, and the vacuum. It sounds like you have a relatively bad infestation so they may be coming from somewhere like under the house? My friend once had fleas she couldn't get rid of until she discovered a dead animal under the house covered in them (yuck!).
Also, once you've conquered the little critters, keep an eye out for tapeworms. If you've had bad fleas, chances are, your kitty will have them. You'll start to see little things that look like sesame seeds laying around. Make sure you get a dewormer from your vet and not over the counter.
Good luck!

Victoria
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Jr. Cat

I haven't tried many flea treatments, but the reviews for advantage seem to be very good. I treated meh stray kittehs a day or two before I let them in the house. I see evidence of dead fleas and such when I comb them but I haven't seen any live ones yet. Maybe they didn't have fleas but they were outside for some period before I brought them in. My parents manage to keep three cats and a dog who is allowed outside pretty much flea free with regular advantage treatments. I've been getting it from drugstore.com

However yes, my sister, I don't know if she uses any flea treatments or not, but she has three indoor only cats and has had fleas so bad in the house that she has had to have terminex or someone like that flea bomb the whole house several times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

Charlotte is gorgeous, by the way!

Victoria
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 04:05 PM

the breeder suggested I use Revolution (selamectin) from Pfizer for adult cat heartworms, fleas, and ear mites

can someone tell me if it's normal for a presumably flea free cat to intermittently scratch or gnaw on it's skin for 5 seconds every 15 minutes or so?
there is no break in the fur or skin, so I'm just trying to learn what is normal cat behavior, and what may be a symptom of fleas, mites or simply dry skin.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 02:49 PM

I have another noob flea related question;

My breeder told me;
"In South Carolina it never gets cold enough to kill fleas
/ticks/mosquito's, so we have to medicate year round."

but said in NYC I do not have to apply flea medication as frequently
going into cold winter, and only need 2 Months worth of treatment.

I don't understand how the outside freezing temperature has any
baring on the flea cycle of indoor only cats. can someone explain?

Quote:
after reading positive reviews on other forums,
I just ordered from and Australian web sight;
Deadfleaz.com
which sells 20% less after shipping than most
USA/CA based resellers if you are willing to
wait the extra days it takes from overseas.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 07:08 PM

Both frontline and advantage protect your cat using the oils in their skin. It is reccomended that you wait 3-4 days before and after applying flea prevention for a bath (for dogs and cats).

I personally use advantage on all my animals - it works well for me. I've not had good results with the frontline at work....

you can give a capstar to get rid of all the living fleas, borax works well for the carpets.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies everyone, but I'm really interested if anyone knows if it's safe to apply Advantage to a cat that has been dosed with Frontline recently. Do I need to wait until I would be dosing her again with Frontline or can I give her the Advantage sooner?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:32 PM

I would wait at least 2 weeks, that what I've been told by my vets.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone, a small update:

I asked my vet about dosing my cat with Advantage so soon after the Frontline, and she said it was fine. I wanted to be extra sure, though, so when I got the Advantage in the mail this morning, I called the company first thing and they told me that it was fine as long as it has been 3 days since the Frontline was applied. The two products have different ingredients that won't react with each other. It's been a week and a half since the Frontline, so I stuck some Advantage her as soon as I could, put on her little kitty sweater (sock with holes cut out of it) so she wouldn't lick off the meds, and went to work.

I just came home for lunch and flea combed her a bit. I found HALF the fleas I normally do, and most of them were dead or dying! Charlotte's not scratchy, either, though I wonder if she's just too moody about her sweater to carry out her typical kitty routine. But so far, it looks like the Advantage is working!

Thanks for your advice in the meantime, everyone. It was really helpful to have some support, no matter how minimal. Now I just have to keep up my vacuuming to get any stray flea eggs, continue to comb the dead fleas off kitty, and pump money into Advantage packages.

Bonus photo of Charlotte looking thrilled to have her sweater on again so soon. (Photo taken early this morning after I dosed her.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page