Needs to gain weight - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Needs to gain weight

I just adopted a 6 month old male kitten and his hip bones kind of show a little how can I get him to gain weight? He doesn't have worms either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Needs to gain weight

Let him eat all he wants and you might try Nutri-Cal. It's a gel-like substance which is a high-calorie supplement. I used it for Cali when she was little, and sometimes for Cinderella.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Feed him a premium quality (not grocery store brand) kitten food - as much as he'll eat. Do NOT feed him an adult cat food because it won't contain the nutrient values that a growing kitten needs. When choosing a food, try to find one that contains little or no grain products. Innova Evo is a fine food with no grains.

Remember to make any dietary changes gradually to avoid digestive upsets.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 AM

I have the same problem but with a geriatric cat (16). She's always been small but too much so now. You can feel everyone of her vertebrae when you run down her back. She lost about 1.5lbs after getting hit by a car and has never really gained it back. She's very active and acts like she's always hungry. She has access to an endless supply of hard food and I give her soft food twice a day, sometimes more. She won't let me forget either! Usually though she doesn't finish her portion of the food and the other cat eats it. She was treated for worms several months ago just based on bloodwork. He said it wasn't definite that she had them but in his experience, it was a good indicator. The rest of her bloodwork was OK, no hyperthyroidism or anything. Is high protein/calorie food OK based on her age? This is a tough situation to manage because the vet wants the other cat to lose weight!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

If your elderly cat hasn't had a complete blood chemistry panel and T4 test for several months, I strongly recommend you have them run again now. Old cats can develop physical problems seemingly overnight, and the symptoms you describe sound very much like hyperthyroidism to me. Actually, a Free T4 (which will need to be sent out to a large lab for testing) gives more accurate diagnostic results for hyperthyroidism than the Total T4 that vets generally run in their own clinics. If I were you, I'd request both a complete blood chemistry and a Free T4.

Once you have current blood test results and know where your cat's health status stands right now, you can choose an appropriate food to help her hopefully put some weight back on.

Laurie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 03:54 PM

I think she did have a free T4 level done, but that was several months ago. She's really not acting any different than she usually does. She's always been a hungry cat and begs for food. I'm just worried about how she's never seemed to put back on any weight since her accident. Guess it's time to have everything rechecked again.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page