Toby peeing in the house - update UTI and kidney infection - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Toby peeing in the house - update UTI and kidney infection

I am taking Toby to the vet tomorrow morning (first appointment I could get!). Over the past week he has peed in the house about half a dozen times and I am concerned he has some kind of urinary infection. I put it down to him wanting to go out in the garden the first few times but then yesterday and today he is did twice when I had just cleaned his litter box and the back doors were open. I have also noticed this morning that he is drinking a great deal so first things first is to get him checked out. If there is no infection I need to try and identify what might have caused this change in behaviour as he has never done this before. Poor lad, I hope he is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

Re: Toby peeing in the house

Awww. Poor wee Tobe!!! I hoe he feels better soon.

Please keep a close eye on him though. If he seems really out of sorts and you know he hasnt passed urine in quite a while go the vet straight away. Never mind an appointment. Just go.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

My sister has a 10-year-old male cat who was drinking large amounts of water and urinating excessively (in the litter box, fortunately) and it ended up being diabetes. I think that CRF (chronic renal failure - kidney disease) is also a possibility from those symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Premier Cat

Poor Toby. Diabetes was the first thing that I thought of with the excessive thirst. I hope it's just an UTI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Oh dear, to be honest I didn't think of anything else and now I am a bit worried. Am at vet in the morning though so there is very little I can do until then other than give my lovely boy lots of cuddles. He is only 3, I hope it's nothing serious

Although I am a bit worried, thank you for pointing out other things. I will mention everything to the vet and get them to carry out whatever tests they need to. He really is drinking a lot! I have had to refill his water fountain already today.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Its very difficult not to worry ... but I'm sure he will be fine.

Give him a cuddle from me
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

One of the Yahoo ads at the top of the page said something about food for diabetes:
http://www.wildkittycatfood.com/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Toby peeing in the house - update UTI and kidney infection

Well poor Toby has a urinary tract and kidney infection. He was a good boy for all his tests at the vets today and has been given a strong antibiotic and anti inflammatory and I have been told to keep him quiet and comfortable for a few days and then to take him back when he is a bit more comfortable.

He has been very clingy since I brought him back home, just snoozing next to me on the sofa - poor lamb, I hope he feels better soon. I am going to talk to the vet about diet and lifestyle when I take him back on Thursday but if anyone has any helpful hints I am all ears.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 PM

what were you feeding him prior to these infections?
i don't mean to infer cause and effect, I'm just curious.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Wet food ... did you find a good supplier of applaws? i seem to remember both Toby and Willow liking that.

Poor wee lamb. I hope he feels better soon!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page