safest rabies vaccination for kittens? IMRAB question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

safest rabies vaccination for kittens? IMRAB question

We adopted our kittens through a rescue and part of the deal is $85 for spay and rabies vaccination. I called the vet they work through and they use the IMRAB rabies vaccine, which they said is good for every three years. I want the safest vaccination and from what i'm reading Purvax seems to be the safest and less related to tumors later in life. Should I skip the rabies part and find a vet that uses this brand instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: safest rabies vaccination for kittens? IMRAB question

Hi. I've only read a little about it as I don'tk now what vaccines if any my kittehs have had. littlebigcat.com has some articles. If the idea is that it may cause cancer in the injected appendage and other options reduce this chance it might be something to look into?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yes, i actually called and cancelled the rabies vaccination for when they go in to be spayed. Ive called 6 vets already in my area and none of them use the Merial PureVax vaccination. I guess ill have to keep calling around...anyone know if theres an easier way to find out which vets use PureVax?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

I would stay away from 3 year rabies on cats. Especially as the first vaccine for a kitten. I'm surprised they even offered it to you. If you can, I do recommend the Merial Purevax. You can try contacting Merial directly to see if they can recommend a vet in your area. The website lists a number as 1-800-Merial1.

Good luck finding someone in your area!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

My vet says giving the one-year vaccine on a yearly basis is safer than giving the three-year vaccine every three years. If I remember right, she said there had been a study that backs that up, too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 04:54 PM

umm....ok, several things here.

There is NO difference between the three year vs. one year vaccines. They all come out of the SAME vile. Any vet that says that it is better to vaccinate every year, is trying to make a profit.

There have been MANY studies showing that the rabies vaccine is 100% affective for 3+ years. You cannot get a 3 year vaccine, without prior proof of vaccination - to insure lasting immunization.

Overvaccination your pets is a dangerous thing. Get blood titers done if you're not sure about how protected your pets are.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

that is true, but those vaccines are primarily used on dogs and are MUCH less safe for cats. I would rather give a one year Merial Purevax every year than the IMRAB every three years. Of course, I'd even more rather give the Purevax every three years anyway - and I personally only do puppy/kitten boosters and first yearly vaccines then no more after that.

Comparing vaccine safety in dogs and cats are two completely different things though.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica1989
There is NO difference between the three year vs. one year vaccines. They all come out of the SAME vile. Any vet that says that it is better to vaccinate every year, is trying to make a profit.
No, sorry, that's no longer the case. It used to be the case before the non-adjuvanted vaccine (Purevax) was introduced, but now they're definitely two different vaccines. It's possible that some vets may still sell the adjuvanted vaccine as one and three-year, and that may be the practice where you live, but you can definitely get two different rabies vaccines now.

http://www.thecatpracticepc.com/rabies.htm

Mid-way down the middle of the page under "protocol change"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Tom Cat

Can your vet special order it? Mine orders a vaccine for one of my cats that they don't have at their office because I signed a contract from the breeder that requires no leukemia shot be given and the combo shot they use at the vets contains the leukemia vaccine. I just make sure to call ahead of time before her appointment so they can order it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well so far I havent found a vet near by that has Purevax and none that will order it specially. I am assuming because they would need to order more than one vial, it is not worth their while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page