Help! My cat stopped eating! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Help! My cat stopped eating!

A few weeks ago I transitioned my cat to a raw food diet. He took to the raw food pretty quickly and even started to prefer it over the transition food within a couple of days. He ate the raw food just fine for a couple of weeks, but now he won't touch the raw food, he just smells it and paws the floor next to it. He didn't eat for 4 or 5 days until I gave in and fed him some canned Natural Balance chicken and liver pate which he ate right up. I'm worried that he'd rather starve to death than eat what I give him. He's wasting away so any suggestions you might have will be greatly appeciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Help! My cat stopped eating!

Not eating for 4 or 5 days can trigger hepatic lipidosis (aka fatty liver disease) if he's overweight to begin with. The fact that he ate the Natural Balance seems to indicate that it hasn't happened (cats with fatty liver refuse it eat). But my point is, please don't ever let a cat go that long without food.

If he refuses the raw, then start over again with your transitioning process. Or maybe vary the recipe a bit to make it more interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Jr. Cat

Re: Help! My cat stopped eating!

Did kitteh ever get sick on the raw food? I have noticed that if for some reason the kitteh vomits a certain food they are very hesitant to eat it again.

There's some info on the lipidosis at catinfo.org
Quote:
On the other hand, do not attempt to withhold food for long periods of time (greater than 24 hours) with the hope that your cat will choose the new food. I prefer to try to ‘convince’ them that a high quality canned food really is good for them, rather than to try starving them into it - which does not work anyway. Allowing a cat to go without food - especially an overweight cat - for a long period of time (greater than 48 hours) can be quite dangerous and may result in hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). Hepatic lipidosis can also develop when a cat consumes 50% or less of his daily caloric requirements over a period of many days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page