Male cats & fish ? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Male cats & fish ?

I just wanted to run this by y'al. A few weeks ago I took one of my cats to the vet. We started to chit chat and he asked me if I had any male cats. I said, yes, two. He then told me to never feed them any canned fish because it would give them crystals. I've never heard of this before.............is it true???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Tom Cat

Re: Male cats & fish ?

Yes and no. I believe fish is high in magnesium but someone correct me if I am wrong. High amounts of minerals can be a problem if the cat eats exclusively dry food.

Three things must happen before crystals can form. Urine ph is either too high or low, a low volume of urine which leads to a high concentration of minerals in the urine. A high moisture diet (wet food) purges the urine ph and dilutes the concentration of minerals. And a high moisture diet flushes out the urinary tract system more often. Producing unfavorable conditions for crystals to form.
I feel this site provides some good info on urinary problems
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=2729

With a all dry diet they only take in about half of the water they need. I think Doodlebug has a post somewhere on roughly how much water they need when they are fed dry. I think this is the one https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52653 I don't think its possible to achieve that amount since they really don't have that desire to drink. This came hardwired from their ancestors.

I think there are a few more reasons why we should try to limit fish to once or twice a week but I can't think of them right know. As for crystals, if your kitty is eating a lot of canned food then the chances of him developing crystals are greatly reduced. But anything can happen. I feed my male kitties fish once, sometimes twice, a week and they are doing good. They are also on a high moisture raw diet.

Take care
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Re: Male cats & fish ?

Thanks so much for the informative reply, Chris. You have put my mind at ease. My boys really aren't that crazy about fish anyway and so I would only feed it 2 to 3 times a week. Please note that I've got 6 cats and that one can of food is being split 6 ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page