wellness. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

wellness.

I have been doing lots of research on cats but there are no sites or reviews that straight out tell you what the best cat food is... well, about.com has some but I'm not really sure I like the ones they list. I was all over the place with different foods when I first got Yumi. Now we had settled on Wellness and now I have Aubrey.. she doesn't take to the food well. She seems to have lots of gas and I'm assuming it's the food messing with her stomach. The other thing I noticed is that the stools in the litter box are not always firm.

I was considering starting them on Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul for Kittens but now I'm not sure. I found out they had a recall recently. I like to read too fast so it was something about rice in their food that they didn't list on the food itself. Made me worried. I actually put in a request for it our Wag 'N Wash here. Now I'm afraid to use it. Agh.

It sounds like Evo is supposed to be good as well? I tried Felidae with both of them but they really didn't eat the wet food. They both eat Wellness like it's the best thing ever. Do kittens normally have sensitive stomach's? Is it something they would out grow? Or should I really consider switching the food? Aubrey has been eating Wellness for about two weeks now? I feed them kitten Wellness dry food and wet food at night.

We had an awesome vet when we started taking Yumi in but she left to start her own clinic. She was really familiar with cats.

Basically, I need help. I want to make sure I get what's best for them and I feel like Wellness might not be best for them right now and I'm undecided on what next cat food to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Cool Cat

Re: wellness.

Wellness is a good food but for some cats not all good foods will work for them, for instance I switched my cats from Felidae to Before grain (dry foods), the new one was grain free and fish free so I was happy. Both cats started to shed more and Willie's poop became loose and SMELLY. They were on it for about two months and then I switched to California Natural which does contain grains (rice) but is still a very good food, problems solved. I might try it a little longer since it's only been two weeks but in the mean time continue to search for one they at least like the taste of. there are a lot out there and considering how expensive Wellness is there are a lot of good foods the same price or lower. Give regular Innova a try, that's a good food, unless you are looking for a grain free food as I know some of the Wellness formulas are.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 AM

pixi, thanks for posting - misery loves company

I've been told by many experienced cat keepers that any dry food transition by itself, may trigger gas.

however I share your observation that Wellness (chicken&rice) triggers a lot more gas in my cats.
I also tried Evo (cat&kitten) and can report noticeably less gas, but I'm still in the transition stage,
so I won't know if I'm nearly gas free for another week - fingers crossed.

my cats were gas free on Nutro Complete Care (green bag) so if I find a great sale on it,
I may just stock up and put them back on that. posters here are critical of Nutro because
it has the average protein% in the low 30's (like Wellness), not 50% as Evo claims to be,
but if I can manage to find a cheap source of Evo, I'd rather pay more for better protein.

I also liked that Nutro pellets are twice as large, forcing my cats to crack them before
swallowing, which may give my cats a minor dental hygiene benefit while eating Nutro.

I feed my cats a measured portion using an auto feeder, and I noticed
they clean up the Evo far sooner than they used to on Nutro or Wellness.

bottom line; if you can afford Evo, and cat gas is reduced, you should stay with that food.
http://www.evopet.com/products/default. ... ga&id=1500

the best online shipping source for Evo I could find is;
http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/stor ... id=3011240
because shipping costs only go up moderately in my state when you order more than one bag.
try to find a supplier who ships near your state because it can save a lot on heavy shipping.
of course, some resellers are pigs and will screw you on shipper no matter where you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 11:55 AM

Right now i'm not a fan of wellness it's giving Tiger the runs, Carmen however is doing fine on them but i'd still like to switch i'm also on a hunt for a better food too.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not a fan of kitten foods in general, every kitten I've ever had (4 of them), had diarrhea from kitten food...Wellness included. A good all life stages food is what I'd recommend...Natural Balance & Nature's Variety are two, I forget the rest of them. And yes, doing a dry food switch too fast or adding in too much wet food quickly could be part or all of the issue you're seeing. You may also be seeing a sensitivity to an ingredient. It took me months to figure out that fish gives Holly diarrhea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petspy
my cats were gas free on Nutro Complete Care (green bag) so if I find a great sale on it,
I may just stock up and put them back on that. posters here are critical of Nutro because
it has the average protein% in the low 30's (like Wellness), not 50% as Evo claims to be,

but if I can manage to find a cheap source of Evo, I'd rather pay more for better protein.
No, that's not the reason many of us aren't fond of Nutro, it's because of the cheap filler/poor source of protein type of ingredients (the items I've emphasized below). (But Nutro wet food is pretty decent).

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Rice Flour, Natural Flavors, Rice Protein Concentrate, Herring Meal, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Vegetable Fiber (Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Water Cress, Spinach), Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Inositol, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Dried Chicory Root, Cranberry Powder, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 02:52 PM

FYI: I discovered a few more high Protein low carb dry foods to try;
Wellness CORE with 50%
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/prod ... id=3012333
and
Blue Buffalo WILDERNESS with 45%
http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cats/w ... -cat.shtml

If experts here can scan through the ingredient and analysis and
tell me if there is anything you love or hate here, please post it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Cat

I've switched my cats to a combination of dry foods, Wellness Core and Solid Gold Indigo Moon, to try to get them off of all grains. One of my babies has very loose stools, and getting him off of grain has helped. I'm also in the process of cutting down on their dry and slowly giving them more wet food, so far canned Wellness is a big hit for all of them. As for the dry, they won't eat the Wellness Core by itself, but they LOVE the Solid Gold Indigo Moon, so if I mix the two together they will eat it up. My goal is to eventually have them on a lot more wet good, though my older primadonna cat just refused to eat canned food, little turkey!

Andi
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Premier Cat

I think any of the foods you mentioned are good foods, so whatever they like and agrees with them is the way to go. My cats eat Wellness but, when I got my new kitten and she was very under weight, I decided to get her some kitten food. She got the runs and gas. No more Wellness kitten for her!
Just an aside, have you had her fully checked out for worms and parasites? Often gas and diarrhea in kittens is caused by that. Even if you've had her wormed, make sure she's checked for giardia and coccidia. They are quite difficult to find and cause runny STINKY stools and LETHAL gas.

Victoria
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Cat Addict

My cats eat the Wellness no grain canned foods. The no grain is supposed to be best for feline leukemia positive kittys. When I first brought Tweezer home he had a horrible case of diarrhea. Within a few days of eating Wellness his stools were normal. He does have gas but the vet said that may be because he has been on so many antibiotics and recommended that I give him about a teaspoon of plain yogurt a day. I only started doing that a couple of days ago and don't know if it is going to help yet.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublemom
I've switched my cats to a combination of dry foods, Wellness Core and Solid Gold Indigo Moon
Moon may not be such a good choice, since it's second highest percentage ingredient are potatoes.
it's hard to know how much of the protein % rated source may be potatoes not just from animals.

Breeder's Choice Pinnacle Peak Protein Chicken
is another 42% protein with lots of potatoes.
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/prod ... d=30146602

Orijen Adult Cat & Kitten Formula Dry Cat Food
is yet another good new 45% protein low option,
similar to Blue Buffalo WILDERNESS 45% recipe.
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/prod ... =301107501
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page