What is better: raw-made or industrial? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

What is better: raw-made or industrial?

Hello
I am sorry for my english.
What is better for my 3,5 months old kitten?
1)To feed her with only raw-made food(food that I cook for her)?
2)... with only bought food(such as dry-food, canned, e.t.c.)?
3)... with together 1) and 2)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 05:12 AM
Tom Cat

Re: What is better: raw-made or industrial?

That's a tough question to answer. Everyone on catforum that gives advice on food has done some research on what a proper diet should be for a cat. Myself and a few others have concluded after research that raw is better. Others will say after research that commercial made food is the way to go. Where it gets hard to say which diet is the best is that both sides can provide good arguments for why there's is the best and the other isn't. Also, there will be risks with any diet you choose. You just have to decide what risks you are willing to take.

So researching all of the diets will help you find the right diet for your kitty. And you will know its the right diet because it will make sense to you. That last sentence seems to be worded wrong. A fair amount of us do agree on one thing, that we should try to incorporate as much wet food as we can in their diet.

You can mix certain commercial with raw. I always have some can food for backup. Sometimes I run out of raw so I just pop open some cans and feed until I get more raw supplies. There are some members that feed half raw and half can. They all report that their kitties are doing great.

Take care
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Cat Addict

Feeding raw will require more work and more research on your part, but when done right, it can be a great, healthy diet for a cat.
It is a lot more than just throwing together some scraps of meat, though. You need to be sure to provide the right balance of nutrients or your cat may become sick. A good commercial food, on the other hand, will already have the right balance of nutrients. All that is required of you is picking a good food and then opening the can. All commercial foods are not made equally. You want to avoid the low quality foods because they contain poor-quality nutrients and contain more grain.

I feed a high quality commercial food. I care dearly about my cats and their health, but I'm just not up to the task of preparing a homemade diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

I think that the OP isn't using the word "raw" in the sense that we usually use it when talking about cats' diets. I think the OP is asking about "fresh" food, ie a made-at-home diet -- fresh but cooked -- as opposed to commercial cat food.

Blue8sky - fresh is always more nutritious than commercial canned (wet) or commercial bagged (dry) cat food but you'll need to make sure that your cat gets all the nutrients needed by cats in their diet, so you'll have to do your research to find out what fresh foods meet those requirements.

Including some commercial cat food with your fresh diet will help you ensure that the dietary requirements are being met.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page