Raw feeders, please answer my questions about fish - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Raw feeders, please answer my questions about fish

I have a few questions for you raw feeders about fish. I have read that oily fish are best because of the omega fatty acids they provide. Could someone please provide a list of oily fish? Are smelt considered oily?

I've also read that fish shouldn't be fed more than once or twice a week, but I'm unclear on how much of the once or twice-weekly meal should be fish. The entire meal? Half of the meal? Just one tiny smelt once a week? I'm asking these questions relative to both the cats and the dogs. My largest dog, Tasha, gets 1-1.5 lbs of meat and bones/day. Should I be giving her 1-1.5 lbs of fish once a week?

How long do fish keep when frozen? I have come across a guy who has a LOT of smelt from last spring's smelt run that he's trying to sell right now. This smelt is frozen, but there's so much of it that it could last me years. As long as it remains frozen, how long will it remain feedable to the dogs and cats?

I'm a bit confused about this fish thing. Please clarify this for me.

Thanks!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 AM
Tom Cat

Re: Raw feeders, please answer my questions about fish

Good questions.

I have heard of smelt being somewhat oily but don't know for sure. If I had access to some I would feed them.

The once or twice thing from me mainly came from a post on http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/ which is a blog from www.catnutrition.org She lists some thought provoking reasons on why to not feed fish. Imo the reasons would be a problem if a cat ate a lot of fish. But since they would be only eating it once or twice a week I don't think we would run into any of those problems. When I feed fish it only makes up half of the meal. Sorry I don't know anything about dogs, hopefully someone will chime in about that.

For frozen fish in air tight packages with a average freezer temp, maybe 3 months. Going as cold as it can go you can probably squeeze another month and maybe another half. I am not sure though.

This is all I know about fish, which by the looks of it isn't much. If you come across some good info send it my way

Take care
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Re: Raw feeders, please answer my questions about fish

I'd say about one meal of fish a week, if you feed fish. Oily fish is the way to go. It's rich in fat soluble vitamins such as vitamin A and D and also in Omega 3 fatty acids. However, contaminats in the sea are usually stored in the fat so oily fish generelly contain more contaminants than non-oily fish. That's one of the reasons as to why you wanna be somewhat careful with feeding oily fish.

Examples of oily fish are:
- salmon
- mackerel
- tuna
- sardines
- trout
- anchovies

There's a more complete list here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page