Toby - update: dont think he likes the litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Toby - update: dont think he likes the litter

It occurred to me earlier this evening that I hadn't seen Toby use his litter tray all day. He has eaten fine but I'm obviously rather concerned. Given recent events (there is a question mark as to whether he has been spraying or not) , I don't know whether this is due to a blockage or whether he has just 'gone elsewhere'. I guess if he hasn't gone by tomorrow morning he is off to the vets ... horribly expensive as it will be an emergency ... and it will have to be at his old vets as his current vets emergency service is located out of London which is no good to someone who hasn't got their own form of transport.

I haven slept particularly well (its 3am here) because I'm listening out for the litter tray. Nothing yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Toby - seriously worried there may be a blockage going on

Did he go when he was outside? (not sure when the video was taken)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Did he go when he was outside? (not sure when the video was taken)
He went to spray but not sure if anything came out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Banned

Would you recognize a full bladder if you palpated his abdomen?

Has he been doing anything else indicating he's experiencing urinary discomfort? Licking his penis excessively? Peeing on clothing, bedding, pillows (soft stuff)?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Premier Cat

I would say that if his behavior is normal, things should be fine. I know cats hide discomfort well, but they can't hide the fact that they feel unwell and you'd be able to tell if he is behaving in a 'depressed' manner. I'm assuming you meen tee-tee and not poo-poo? Poops can be held in for some time with little problems or obvious behaviors, but if tee-tee is backed up, there is no way he'd be able to feel comfortable and he should be exhibiting some signs of discomfort that would let you know how he is doing. He looked very perky in the garden video, but I know what it is like to be worried anyways.
Good wishes sent your way,
h

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
Would you recognize a full bladder if you palpated his abdomen?
No, I don't think so. And in any case, one only goes near Tobys tummy after mentally saying goodbye to your fingers first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
Has he been doing anything else indicating he's experiencing urinary discomfort? Licking his penis excessively? Peeing on clothing, bedding, pillows (soft stuff)?
No, nothing like that. He simply hasn't gone as far as I am aware.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I would say that if his behavior is normal, things should be fine. I know cats hide discomfort well, but they can't hide the fact that they feel unwell and you'd be able to tell if he is behaving in a 'depressed' manner. I'm assuming you meen tee-tee and not poo-poo? Poops can be held in for some time with little problems or obvious behaviors, but if tee-tee is backed up, there is no way he'd be able to feel comfortable and he should be exhibiting some signs of discomfort that would let you know how he is doing. He looked very perky in the garden video, but I know what it is like to be worried anyways.
Good wishes sent your way,
h
He seems fine in himself. He has just munched some kitty treats with his usual vigour. He did a poo-poo yesterday - its the other I'm worried about.

I tend to be on high alert for this stuff anyway as one of my mothers cats had urinary problems all his life.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

Like Heidi said, he wouldn't be himself. I think you'd sense he wasn't himself, even if it wasn't overt. You and Toby are pretty close. He'd be telling you in some way that something was wrong.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well - woke up this morning to find that he still hadn't been. But then I thought that if I took him out in the garden he would try to spray and then I'd know. After two fake sprays, he did an enormous big one all over the wall so if his bladder was full before, it sure isn't now.

Something is going on with his toileting habits though I'm sure - but I've yet to find any evidence of any 'inappropriateness'.

Thanks for the support guys - I really appreciate it. I guess the blocked bladder thing is something I really worry about. As I say, one of my mothers cats (Felixes brother, Liam) has reoccurrant issues all his life (had three operations in the end) and like Toby he was a overweight neutered Tom (although fatter than Toby).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Toby - seriously worried: UPDATE - he has been!

Great news, Allie! Could it be that he's in the garden often enough that now he's "holding it" until he goes outside?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page