'he' was pregnant. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

'he' was pregnant.

hello all.
i had posted not that long ago asking if my fixed male cat could possibly be pregnant.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53493

well, it turns out 'he' was.
my husband had gone to arizona for two weeks and ourcat, smokey, had grown larger and larger around the mid section. the people we got him from gave us his vet papers stating that he had been wormed, so we didn't think that could be the problem. everyone who had seen our cat swore that it was pregnant. we had to reassure them that it was a neutered male cat. well, two nights ago smokey had become very, very affectionate (he is never & mean neve like that with us girls, only with my husband). we have females cats that have been pregnant in the past but we didn't remember much about them being pregnant. i had my daughter look up pregnant cats, he was showing all the signs.
low and behold yesterday evening, our nuetered male cat gave birth to 7 kittens!!!
i called the vet today asking if there had been some mistake with the paper they had wrote up, the vet told me no, there was no mistake. i was astounded. there are two little puffs below his bum (little bang bangs). he was fixed.
BUT, the vet told me that it is possible for cats to be hermaphodites. so, that's what we have.
a hermaphodite cat. we still call smokey a 'he' because that's what we are used to. but now we have no clue what to call smokey. he, she, it, shim.
-haha-
a hermaphodite cat...has this ever happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Re: 'he' was pregnant.

Wow! Congrats on the babies!

Funny...I had a conversation with a friend the other day and she was telling me about somebody she knew who had a hermaphrodite kitten. The vet told her friend that he's seen several in his years of practicing and apparently it's more common that you would think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Banned

Just amazing.

Congrats on the little surprise arrivals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks. smokey had 7 kittens but sadly, 2 of them died. One was not fully developed and the other i'm not sure what happened. but the other 5 seem healthy and are glued to her, him...shim. -haha- and smokey seems very happy, when we go to check on herm & the kittens, smokey purrs non stop.
but, this cat had a $200 check up and the vet said is was a male cat. i just couldn't believe it when my daughter said skmoey was having kittens.
i tried searching for hermaphodites having kittens...but all i came up with was 'no'. has anyone every heard of a hermaphodite cat having kittens?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Premier Cat

I've only read of a hermaphrodite horse (and seen photos) but she wasn't bred, she just acted "studdy", which means she behaved more like a stallion than a mare. Very aggressive with the other horses. From the photos, it appeared she had male organs protruding out her female parts, but they seemed to me, to only look like enlarged female parts (cl****is). However, because of the male behavior, they must have been male parts releasing testosterone into her body to make her behave that way. I cannot remember much about the situation, but I do know the owner was sending the horse to a university vet program for removal of the 'extra parts' so she would not have those hormones raging through her body and governing her actions.

I would have to say, if your cat had kittens then Smokey is a female (has a uterus, gave birth and has XX genes, though I'd be interested to know if she carried XXY...) and had extra male parts that were removed during the neuter but will now also require a spay.
Very odd.
h

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

smokey has been agressive towards our other cats as well, and didn't seem to like my daughters or me, just very fond of my husband.
but smokey had all these tests done, blood tests included. the vet confirmed that it was a male that had been nuetered. there are still testicles on this cat.
[the vet he was taken to is not the one who fixed him.]
it is however, very odd.

also, smokey had been urinating in the house [just a few times] but it had the aweful smell of a male cats urine.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Premier Cat

This is what I found with "feline hermaphrodite)
Mosaicism:
http://www.messybeast.com/mosaicism.htm

The following quote came from this site:
http://www.netpets.com/cats/reference/g ... tics2.html
"Hermaphrodites are invariably sterile, sometime having both sets of sexual organs with neither fully developed. This is the most common of the aberrant sexual makeups."

A Wiki comment about a hermaphrodite cat:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_cat_be_ ... _look_like

This is what I found with "hermaphrodite cats":
http://www.petplace.com/cats/hermaphrod ... page1.aspx

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 PM

Woah. Interesting story. Could it be hereditary? One of Smokie's kitten could be one. But then again congrates on having those bundles of joy
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

We'll be expecting pictures as soon as you can take some.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Tom Cat

Amazing! What does the vet have to say about hermaphrodite cats being sterile? Sounds like this is one for the books!

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page