Liver - how much is too much? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Liver - how much is too much?

Hi all...

My kitties eat wet food, but I have one cat that just goes crazy over raw chicken liver. How often can I give it to him without it being harmful? He'd be happy to make a whole meal out of the stuff.

When I raw-fed my dog, I seem to recall that they should only have liver a couple of times per week. Is that true for cats too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Liver - how much is too much?

I am by no means an expert, since I've only been raw feeding my dogs and cats for a few weeks. From what I've read, if you are feeding a completely raw diet, the liver content should be 5% of the total meal, and the total meal will generally be between 2-3% of the animal's ideal body weight. When I worked out the calculations with my cats' ideal weights, I came up with between .2-.3 oz of liver daily, which is a very small piece of liver.

Since I'm new at raw feeding and am still developing my "eye" for portion sizes and food weights, I am weighing everything on a postal scale. I understand, though, that these recommended food proportions don't require daily compliance. They are guidelines for feeding "over time". So if you feed a little larger piece of liver one day, you can feed a little less the next day to even things out. Or if you only feed liver a couple of times a week, you can feed larger pieces equivalent to the size of three small, daily pieces.

Of course I have no idea how any of this relates to feeding raw liver to a cat who otherwise eats canned food.

Laurie
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Laurie.

You're right about it all leveling out in the end. My Great Dane did great on raw and I never measured anything, I just tossed what I had that day in his bowl and made sure he got what he needed over time.

I did want to make sure that if I gave my cat a piece of liver every day with his food that it wouldn't be too much. I've only done raw with dogs so I'm still shaky on the raw needs of cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Absolutely not more than 10% of the total diet. If you don't wanna sit down an count I'd say it's safe to feed liver once a week. It's very rich in vitamin A and can be poisonous.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, Sol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page