A few questions and concerns... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

A few questions and concerns...

I've got three cats. Two males and one female...

When just looking at them, they all look fine to me, but when the three of them are lined up eating, my girl just looks so much thinner than the two boys.
They all eat the same amount and everything, but she just seems so petite. Maybe its because she is a girl, and I'm just a worry wart...

Also, what dry/wet food do you feed your cats?

I feed Nutro indoor formula w/ the wet pouches(but they only get wet about 2 times a week. don't want fat, diabetic babies)

Last night, however, I got off work late and was unable to make it to PetSmart to by Nutro, and no other store was open, so I got them some wet Friskies from the grocery store and they went absolutely crazy.

They loved it, and I want to give them what they love, but I don't want them to be unhealthy.

Discuss, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: A few questions and concerns...

Friskies has a lot of by products grains and fillers and stuff in there. They may like the taste but it doesn't mean it's the best food for them. They'd have to eat more of it to get the same value as a higher quality food.

>>but they only get wet about 2 times a week. don't want fat, diabetic babies) I think this is backwards? They'd be more likely to be fat and diabetic on a higher carbohydrate dry food than on a quality low carb wet food?

>>Also, what dry/wet food do you feed your cats? Presently only wet, wellness chicken/turkey they seem to like it and it has no fillers or grains.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73
Friskies has a lot of by products grains and fillers and stuff in there. They may like the taste but it doesn't mean it's the best food for them. They'd have to eat more of it to get the same value as a higher quality food.

>>but they only get wet about 2 times a week. don't want fat, diabetic babies) I think this is backwards? They'd be more likely to be fat and diabetic on a higher carbohydrate dry food than on a quality low carb wet food?

>>Also, what dry/wet food do you feed your cats? Presently only wet, wellness chicken/turkey they seem to like it and it has no fillers or grains.
I can't find wellness anywhere!

I want to feed my cats wellness so badlyyyyy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Porcupine is correct, it's the dry food that may get you fat, diabetic kitties. Wet food diets help control the weight much better.

Have you tried the store locater on the Wellness website?

Oh, and females do tend to be smaller. If she's not looking for food, she's probably doing fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Jr. Cat

Yes maybe try the wellness store locator. It can also be purchased online; shipping is usually the deal breaker though on cat food vs. buying locally. But if you happen to be not too far from the shipping point it is more reasonable. I get it from my local www.petsuppliesplus.com (they don't show it on their web site but the stores in my area have it anyway). Also petco has some types iirc. Some wellness is grain free some isn't. I've been getting the 12.5oz cans as this is the lowest cost/oz.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Cool Cat

Wellness is now sold at Petco. My boys get either Wellness wet or Natural Balance wet, with 1/2 a cup of dry each day (though they never eat all the dry).

One of my cats has a larger frame, and is long and lean, and I always worry he is under weight because he looks so much skinnier than his "brother" who is stockier. But I think really one is built like a greyhound and the other is built like a bulldog. Checking them on a body chart, from above, they both fall into the middle "good" category.

I have a chart saved on my computer, but I can't figure out how to upload it to the new forums

So here's a linkie: http://www.placervillevet.com/feline...0condition.htm

Wet is definitely the way to go, as it has less carbs. Kittehs body's are not designed to deal with carbs, they just don't process them all that well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Wellness isn't sold at all Petco stores, mine doesn't carry it. The only place in town is a small, locally owned store. So if this this the case for you, then you might want to look up specialty pet food stores in the phone book and give that a try.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Banned

Here is a very useful sticky regarding the wet food/dry food issue

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9107

and a peer reviewed scientific paper

http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SesameStGang
I thought I read somewhere that wet cat food is similar to dry cat food in terms of nutrients and caloric counts but is basically just hydrated. I hope this doesn't open a can of worms. Excuse the vague pun.

Feeding wet food won't make your cats fat or diabetic as long as you stick to the recommended serving size.
No worms, but some disagreement . Yes, both types of foods need to meet the AAFCO nutritional requirements (in the US anyway). But the high temp processing that dry foods go through, tend to reduce the nutritional value of the ingredients. Then there's the issue where cats won't drink enough water to offset the dry food and end up somewhat dehydrated.

Most foods recommend way more than necessary (both wet and dry). I've read labels that would have me feeding Kobi 4-5 cans a day, when he does just fine on one. And different cats have different metabolisms, so you have to adjust to your cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page