Evo can dog food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Evo can dog food

I was just on another forum and someone posted that evo dog can food is the same as evo canned cat. And it is. She also mentioned she sent and received a email from natura saying its all the same. This is very interesting. I don't think they made a mistake on the website. And I don't have dogs to compare the can food.

What are your thoughts? Universal nutrition for carnivores. Is that good or bad for either animal? Just so you know I do like evo, not trying to discredit them.

Or am I just late to the starting line with this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~
Re: Evo can dog food

Hey! That was my post you were reading.
HaHa, small world after all.

I would really like to know this as well. It would save a boat load of money.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Premier Cat

That was brought to my attention by the clerks at the store I buy my cat food at recently also! I wanted bigger cans of certain flavor and they said it was available in the dog food! Pus more flavors to choose from! Same price as the cat food too.

Evo has a promotion where when I buy 12 of any of their products ex. 12 large bags of innova then you get the 13th free. Even in the canned food which I buy flats of it~ feeding 14 hungry mouths!

Im not sure if cats and dogs have the same needs in food. I would be interested to read opinions on that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I read the current aafco cat and dog profiles I found out that they are almost the same. The only major differences are that cats need more protien, fat, and taurine (which most of use already know). All of the vitamins and minerals are close to being the same.

So it seems evo made it easier for themselves and just formulated it for cats and adjusted a few micronutrient levels to meet dog requirements. It also looks like the 95% meat cans are the same also.

Since its most likely the same price, as Mitts & Tess said, no real benefit other than if they ran out of cat food then you could buy dog and be fine. Evo has a rabbit food but I wouldn't feed that too often, has a lot of fat.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Cat Addict

...You could always supplement with a little extra taurine - it is available at health food stores in powder form...

Fran
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 PM

I'm a huge advocate of Innova Evo. It's one of the best pet food on the market, IMO. My vets (both regular and holistic) were both very impressed as well. I don't think I've ever read/heard anything negative about this brand.

Dog vs. cat food - they are very similar but not exactly the same. See below:

Innova Evo canned dog food:

Ingredients: Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Broth, Chicken Broth, Chicken Meal, Herring, Carrots, Whole Eggs, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Seaweed Extract, Apples, Tomato Flakes, Cottage Cheese, Herring Oil, Potassium Chloride, Apple Fiber, Inulin, Vitamin C, Sea Salt, Choline Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Beta Carotene, Vitamins/Minerals

Guaranteed Analysis:
Moisture 78%
Protein 12%
Fat 8%
Fiber .5%

Innova Evo canned cat food:

Ingredients: Turkey, chicken, turkey broth, chicken broth, chicken meal, herring, carrots, whole eggs, salmon meal, natural flavors, carrageenan, tomato flakes, cottage cheese, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, apples, guar gum, vitamins/minerals, inulin, herring oil, choline chloride, potassium chloride, salt, sunflower oil, taurine, sodium phosphate, beta carotene

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 12 % Crude Fat (min) 8 % Crude Fiber (max) 0.5 % Moisture (max) 78 % Ash (max) 3 % Carbohydrates NFE (max) 1.01 % Vitamin E (min) 100 IU/kg Magnesium (max) 0.03 83 kcal/kg
36 kcal/oz
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat'sBestFriend
Dog vs. cat food - they are very similar but not exactly the same
The evo canned is exactly the same for both cats and dogs. Check their website.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10
Quote:
Dog vs. cat food - they are very similar but not exactly the same
The evo canned is exactly the same for both cats and dogs. Check their website.
I did. That's where I copied and pasted the info from. Very similar, but if you look at the ingredients, there are a few minor differences. My post was taken directly from their ingredients list on their Web site.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:

Ingredients: Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Broth, Chicken Broth, Chicken Meal, Herring, Carrots, Whole Eggs, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Seaweed Extract, Apples, Tomato Flakes, Cottage Cheese, Herring Oil, Potassium Chloride, Apple Fiber, Inulin, Vitamin C, Sea Salt, Choline Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Beta Carotene, Vitamins/Minerals
Bold is not listed on the website. Well apple is not apple fiber and your list is missing carrageenan and L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate and guar gum is in the wrong spot. Here is a direct link to the product http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1489

The cat food list looks the same as the site
Ingredients: Turkey, chicken, turkey broth, chicken broth, chicken meal, herring, carrots, whole eggs, salmon meal, natural flavors, carrageenan, tomato flakes, cottage cheese, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, apples, guar gum, vitamins/minerals, inulin, herring oil, choline chloride, potassium chloride, salt, sunflower oil, taurine, sodium phosphate, beta carotene

Both Nutrient Analysis are also the same
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10
Quote:

Bold is not listed on the website. Well apple is not apple fiber and your list is missing carrageenan and L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate and guar gum is in the wrong spot. Here is a direct link to the product http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1489

The cat food list looks the same as the site

Both Nutrient Analysis are also the same
Hmm ... that's odd. I'm looking at a can of Innova Evo cat food right now. I have it in my hand (that's what I feed my cats), and it matches the ingredients list that I copied and pasted from the Web site. Maybe they changed their formula since I bought the can ... or they haven't updated their Web site in a while?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page