Cat passed a tooth - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat passed a tooth

Hello, I adopted a kitty a few weeks ago. She is about 5-6 years old. We took her to the vet last week and were told she had really bad teeth, but the vet advised that we should wait a few months until the new kitty settles in before we have her in for a cleaning.

Anyway, this morning she had a really runny stool and I found a tooth in it. The tooth was pretty big, possibly a canine, but I can’t be sure.

Do I need to rush her to the vet or should I see how she does? She was eating fine this morning and didn’t seem distressed.

thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Cat passed a tooth

You can call your vet and let them know, but if she is behaving normally in all other areas then this isn't something I would consider an emergency. However, she is your cat and you observe her every day and can best make that decision (vet or no vet) for you and your kitty.

I noticed some weeks ago that BooBoo (age 9) had lost both upper and lower canine teeth on his right side. The gums had healed, were not inflamed and he had/has been eating fine. I have not taken him to the vet.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 PM

Re: Cat passed a tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman
Hello, I adopted a kitty a few weeks ago. She is about 5-6 years old. We took her to the vet last week and were told she had really bad teeth, but the vet advised that we should wait a few months until the new kitty settles in before we have her in for a cleaning.

Anyway, this morning she had a really runny stool and I found a tooth in it. The tooth was pretty big, possibly a canine, but I can’t be sure.

Do I need to rush her to the vet or should I see how she does? She was eating fine this morning and didn’t seem distressed.

thanks
Brian
Your vet did the right thing by advising to wait a while until she adjusts to her new home. Congratulations on your new family member!

Some cats do loose teeth as they get older - especially ones that haven't been cared for properly or are malnourished. Since this cat is 5-6 years old, who knows how she was cared for in the past. If she is eating and acting normal, you need not be alarmed. But do let your vet know and keep him/her posted. No need to rush her to the vet, though. If she loses her chewing teeth, she may have difficulty eating dry food and if that's what you're feeding her, you may need to eventually switch her to wet food (which is much better, IMO, anyway).

Good luck with everything! Let us know how she's doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page