Can our cat live in our patio? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Can our cat live in our patio?

For those of you who have not read my past thread. Here is the short. Our 4 year old son has developed an allergy to my cat. As you can imagine I'm not thrilled about having to get rid of my cat which I have had for 14 years. I't's getting difficult to keep her because my son is coughing more and more. He has been to an allergy doctor who said that he has an allergy to the cat and many other things.
He is on medication and is still coughing.
Any way the bottom line is, everyone but me wants the cat gone. I think my last option is to have her live outdoors on the patio. The patio is enclosed with a screen. She has been spending her days out there but I have never had her spend the night out doors. Is it possible to have her live in the patio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Can our cat live in our patio?

I think so, especially if that is the only choice!

Can you rig up a nice place for her to have as a shelter if she feels like having some privacy? How about one of those heated pads for her to sleep on when it gets cold? And, if you can let her, some time outdoors if you simply cannot allow her indoors at all - so that she can have some variety in her life? And of course, some petting and conversation, and meals and company...

Fran
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Premier Cat

Honestly, I know you love your cat and this is a really hard situation, but I don't think it's fair for your cat to live out the rest of her life on the patio. Unless you guys spend a ton of time out there she will be isolated most of the time. Maybe the kindest thing to do is to try to find her a home. 14 isn't that old. The patio could be a good temporary solution until you can re-home her but I wouldn't leave her out there.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Cat Addict

Can you have her at work, instead? Depends on where you work and all, but if it is an office, maybe that would work? You know, like the bookshops that have cats...

Just a thought. This is such a sad situation. We have allergies but we wouldn't put Gracie out for the world, and we've only had her a year....

Fran
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

We work from our house. I'm ready to go to Home Depot and start building her a kitty house on our patio.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Mouser went to the vet today. I'm leaving on a 3 day business trip. According to the vet, she should be fine living on the patio. The vet told me that I can buy or build her an out door cat house. Of course if we have heavy rain or a storm I would bring her inside. So construction of Fort Mouser starts this week. Thanks for everyone advise.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:21 AM

Cant wait to see the pictures!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser Cat
So construction of Fort Mouser starts this week. Thanks for everyone advise.

We'll OBVIOUSLY need photos of Fort Mouser!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Cat Addict

Awww, looks like a happy ending after all...

Yes, we will need pictures. I hope you son takes part in some of the building and decorating. It is a nice compromise between his allergies and the need to be kind to an animal who deserves to live out her life with her loved ones...

Fran
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Well construction started on Fort Mouser. I've been on a business trip the past few days so Mouser is on vacation at the purington Inn until tomorrow. Sunday I was able to get her house built but it needs to be sanded, primed, and then painted. I also got a cute design stencil. I hope to have it sanded and primed by the end of the weekend. I'll try to paint it on Monday, so she should be able to move in Tuesday morning. I'll post some photos when it's done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page