Recovery from neutering - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Recovery from neutering

A couple of abandoned kittens have been staying on our porch. I had them neutered and vaccinated yesterday. When I picked them up today, the gal said I needed to keep them to limited activity for the next week. They weigh about 6 pounds each and are doing great. Any suggestions ?? Do I need to keep them in the house or cage them outside ?? I have an indoor cat. These are outside cats....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Al Elliott & Deer at Pipestem, Blackie and Pumpkin, !0-11-08 001.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	703  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Re: Recovery from neutering

The picture I just posted was taken a few weeks ago before yesterday's neutering....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Premier Cat

You could keep them in your garage, instead of in the house. However, when I had Dusty neutered, he was an adult cat at about 14# and was an outdoor semi-feral. I put him in my garage, but it was too hot (mid-summer) in there, even with the door cracked open. I let him out on the back patio, where he was familiar with the territory and had areas for him to reach to get away from anything he needed to avoid (loose dogs or wildlife). He did fine, I just kept a close eye on him every time I saw him at feeding time to be sure he was having no problems.
Females I would be more concerned about keeping indoors, but even Pretty (feral) was done and released at my property all in about 2-3 days and her spay was much more invasive than a neuter. Overall, I'd think that as soon as the grogginess from the anesthesia wears off, they should be fine. Of course, they will be a little stiff and sore, but that should prevent them from over-doing it. Evenso, I think another member (Marie73) had two female kitties spayed and they were racing around the house and playing like demons only days after their spay.
You know your kitties the best and can determine how they are doing and what you need to do for them.
Best of luck,
Heidi

ps...what are their names?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

My girls were spayed when they were 10 weeks old and two pounds. They were both running around in their monkey-butt mode that same evening. It's different for everyone, and they always tell you to keep them quiet, but they should be fine.

That's just about the cutest picture ever!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

What's more annoying is when they say their male cats were spaded. Poor little boys!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Cat Addict

As said previously, the neuter procedure is about as non-invasive as surgeries get. You aren't cutting through any muscles, and most places don't even suture the incision. At that age, the blood vessels are so small that the chance of bleeding post op is next to nil. As soon as they are fully up and around post anesthesia, usually takes about 24 to 36 hours, they should be good to go back outside and normal activity. Just keep an eye on them. They are adorable by the way!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Re: Recovery from neutering / names

Their names are Pumpkin and Blackie. We'll keep an eye on them today and let 'em outside maybe this afternoon... Thanks for all the replies.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Re: Recovery from neutering / cat house

I put the rascals outside saturday afternoon... I think they'll be fine. We don't have a garage or shed. I'm looking for suggestions for a house for them as it gets colder. It can drop below 20* here.....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Premier Cat

I have a small 'cat house' on my back patio for Dusty and Pretty to use in the winter.
For several years they slept in that little house so they could monitor the comings/goings inside my kitchen, but lately they've been spending more time inside than out. They may use it this winter as a place to hang out until they notice I'm in the kitchen and can let them in, but I doubt it is going to get the use it had previously.

It was a crate used to ship turbine parts to my Husband's work. A very sturdy wooden box. I attached two 4x4s to lift it from the concrete, used a drill (starting hole) and jigsaw to cut a round shape into one short side for access and got a larger piece of plywood to lay over the top for a roof. Fleece catbed inside, large enough for two big cats to snuggle closely in.

I'd say the box is about 1.5'x2' and maybe 14-16" tall. I placed the cat box opening facing the house-siding so the wind wouldn't blow into it and with the plywood top overhanging the entrance to protect from rain. Full sun in morning with full shade by noon.
If you make something similar, you could consider putting an outdoor heated pet bed inside for them to snuggle on and keep warm.
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page