ADVICE NEEDED - Kitten with diorrheoa!! :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

ADVICE NEEDED - Kitten with diorrheoa!! :(

I recently got a new kitten, when we got him he had a severe case of worms causing him to have diorrheoa. We had the worms treated but the diorrheoa continued we took him back to vets who gave him a slow reacting antibiotic and a paste to help his guts etc.
The vet also told us to feed him bland food such as chicken and scrambled eggs for a few days which we did. we started feeding him his meat again and after a few days he seemed to get a bit better and his poo hardened up, he then went the other way and it went like water.
We decided to try him on some science plan thinking the meat might be too rich for him once again his poo hardened up then went watery again. Poor little soul he's fine other then the diorrheoa hes forever chasing round our 6 month old and is getting plenty of water.

He now has had diorrheoa for 2 weeks now and his bum is sore which we pointed out to the vets when we took him. He miows when he goes to the toilet which were thinking is a combination of him having a sore bum and associating going to the toilet with the sore bum. We have been putting vaseline on his bum which seems to help.

We are taking him back to the vets on monday but in the mean time i was wondering if anybody had a similar experience and what they did to help?

I feel so sorry for him as he looks a state and he doesnt like anybody going near his bum making it hard to clean him up! Also coming home to discover he wasnt able to make it to his tray was not very nice!

Any advice would be very much apprechiated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Re: ADVICE NEEDED - Kitten with diorrheoa!! :(

My foster kittens had horrible diarhea(sp?) and the first fecal test they said they just had worms??? and the diarhea did not go away so we took them back!turns out they had cocidia(sp?).They gave me meds for it and the diarhea cleared up!Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Tom Cat

Re: ADVICE NEEDED - Kitten with diorrheoa!! :(

I would definitly have the vet check for the cocidia (spelling again) I've heard of it being a big cause of diarhea in kittens.

Good luck and just remember to have patience with the little guy. After its fixed he may struggle a little with wanting to use the box as he may associate it with bad things--you may want to try the kitten attract litter after you get things figured out to help him along. Praise him when he does use the box!

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page