Feeding Cats People-Grade Meats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Feeding Cats People-Grade Meats?

This is more of a hypothetical question, I guess. I was just thinking... What are the benefits/dangers of feeding cats meats that are suitable for humans? For example: fresh fish, natural chicken/turkey/beef (no hormones/antibiotics), etc. I was thinking this is basically what they eat in the wild, so why couldn't we feed our own cats the same way? Then I thought: Well, maybe our cats need all the vitamins and minerals that are in store-bought cat food. But an instant later, I thought: Wait a minute, wild cats do just fine eating fresh meats, and they don't need added vitamins/minerals from a factory. So why can't our babies?

Just a little brainstorming... Please, share your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Feeding Cats People-Grade Meats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat'sBestFriend
Then I thought: Well, maybe our cats need all the vitamins and minerals that are in store-bought cat food. But an instant later, I thought: Wait a minute, wild cats do just fine eating fresh meats, and they don't need added vitamins/minerals from a factory. So why can't our babies?
If you buy people cuts of meat you will not be meeting your cat's vitamin/mineral requirements. The reason why, is in the wild cats eat the entire prey, including internal organs and whatever meal the herbivorous critter last ate. We can still feed cats a raw diet from meats we purchase but I think there are also things you have to buy to supplement and ensure the cat gets all the nutrition, vitamins and minerals it needs. With commercial foods, most of them are properly balanced, though they vary greatly in quality of product.
Heidi

PS:
Gross, but...
Farley Mowat was a naturalist who was studying the Alsakan tundra and wolves. In conducting an experiment on himself, he decided to eat what the wolves were eating. He caught and ate voles, mice and other small mammals. However, he skinned and gutted them, depleting his body of much needed requirements. When he finally noticed this problem and what it was attributed to: that he was cutting out and discarding a large portion of the prey that wolves ate whole, he changed his experiment and began to also eat the internal organs of the mammals he was catching and his health condition improved.
"Never Cry Wolf" by Farley Mowat

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

[quote=Heidi n Q]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cat'sBestFriend":99l6dm33
Then I thought: Well, maybe our cats need all the vitamins and minerals that are in store-bought cat food. But an instant later, I thought: Wait a minute, wild cats do just fine eating fresh meats, and they don't need added vitamins/minerals from a factory. So why can't our babies?
If you buy people cuts of meat you will not be meeting your cat's vitamin/mineral requirements. The reason why, is in the wild cats eat the entire prey, including internal organs and whatever meal the herbivorous critter last ate. We can still feed cats a raw diet from meats we purchase but I think there are also things you have to buy to supplement and ensure the cat gets all the nutrition, vitamins and minerals it needs. With commercial foods, most of them are properly balanced, though they vary greatly in quality of product.
Heidi

PS:
Gross, but...
Farley Mowat was a naturalist who was studying the Alsakan tundra and wolves. In conducting an experiment on himself, he decided to eat what the wolves were eating. He caught and ate voles, mice and other small mammals. However, he skinned and gutted them, depleting his body of much needed requirements. When he finally noticed this problem and what it was attributed to: that he was cutting out and discarding a large portion of the prey that wolves ate whole, he changed his experiment and began to also eat the internal organs of the mammals he was catching and his health condition improved.
"Never Cry Wolf" by Farley Mowat[/quote:99l6dm33]

OK, that makes perfect sense. I totally forgot about them eating the other "stuff" - not just the muscle meat. Duh! I can't believe I overlooked that fact.

And, yes, that is gross. But in a good way. Very cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:40 AM
Tom Cat

My kitties are meat monsters
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Cool Cat

Humane grade meat and meat people actually eat might be a little different. I like my cat's cat food to contain human grade ingredients, I know it is safe and not too likely to be in one of those pet food recalls, technically it would be safe for me to eat. Food people actually eat tend to not have skin, bones, organs etc. included.

It is GREAT to feed raw food, food safe for humans but not necessarily what we would eat. You would feed meat but also certain organs and bones (or calcium supplement, it depends on how you feel about the safety of bones). You need to know what you are doing though so you know that the cat is getting what he needs. You can find recipes online or buy books, try and find ones without grains or too many fruits and veggies.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

There's no reason you can't feed your cat a raw diet. But you'll need to make sure your cat gets all the nutrients needed in a complete diet. So do your research first. Start here by searching on the keyword "raw" and you can google for "cat raw diet barf" (BARF stands for "Bones and Raw Food" and is a recognized acronymn for that diet)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Siameseifuplz~
Humane grade meat and meat people actually eat might be a little different. I like my cat's cat food to contain human grade ingredients, I know it is safe and not too likely to be in one of those pet food recalls, technically it would be safe for me to eat. Food people actually eat tend to not have skin, bones, organs etc. included.

It is GREAT to feed raw food, food safe for humans but not necessarily what we would eat. You would feed meat but also certain organs and bones (or calcium supplement, it depends on how you feel about the safety of bones). You need to know what you are doing though so you know that the cat is getting what he needs. You can find recipes online or buy books, try and find ones without grains or too many fruits and veggies.
I didn't think raw meat was suitable for humans. Salmonella/food poisoning and so forth.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Banned

While naturally good safe food handling practices need to be used in preparing raw meat for cats, cats are not nearly so susceptible to salmonella and other bacterial infections as humans are, due to the different nature of their digestive system. It's just not an issue as far as I'm concerned, and it's experience that opinion is based on.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
While naturally good safe food handling practices need to be used in preparing raw meat for cats, cats are not nearly so susceptible to salmonella and other bacterial infections as humans are, due to the different nature of their digestive system. It's just not an issue as far as I'm concerned, and it's experience that opinion is based on.
Oh, I know. I was just saying that raw meat poses a risk for humans - not cats. Someone mentioned that humans could eat raw meat, so that's why I made the salmonella comment.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat'sBestFriend
Oh, I know. I was just saying that raw meat poses a risk for humans - not cats. Someone mentioned that humans could eat raw meat, so that's why I made the salmonella comment.
I normally say "If I would eat it, then its good for my kitties." But with raw, while I would theoretically eat it, I don't think our bodies are designed to consume raw meat. But then again eskimos, to my understanding, use to consume raw meat. Not sure health wise how they were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page