How do I know if he's running a fever? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How do I know if he's running a fever?

It's been a little over 24 hrs since I picked Sebastian up after his neutering surgery. On the whole, he naturally seems a lot more alert and able to get around than yesterday. He ate like a beast at dinner time and begged for more, and now he's sleeping with his head in my lap. I noticed that his ears and nose are very pink and I think I read somewhere that this could be a sign of fever? Obviously he just had surgery, so his immune system should be fighting, and I've given him 2 doses of antibiotics (one with breakfast this morning, one with dinner). My question is, how normal is a fever afterward and how long should it last? Also, though tired, he doesn't seem overly lethargic. When should I worry? Maybe I'm just being paranoid!

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Re: How do I know if he's running a fever?

As long as he's eating and active/alert, he's fine. Glad he came through it fine. Whatever happened with that FIP scare they put you through? I assume it turned out to be nonsense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Re: How do I know if he's running a fever?

Well I ditched that old vet, and my new vet said that Sebastian is extremely healthy and she doubts that FIP will come into play (although you never know). The new doctor, who I like and trust, really recommended just doing the neuter, to relieve the non-mating stress, so we went for it.

The main reason that the old vet cited for Sebastian's imminent death in 6 months was that in addition to testing + for the coronavirus, some liver enzymes were elevated and he thought it was the beginning of organ failure. I gave Sebastian liver meds for a month after that, but quit after they ran out, and just started watching his diet very carefully. The new vet gave him a blood test before she did the surgery of course, and his enzymes were just fine, yay! Now it feels silly that I was once so hysterical over the FIP concerns, but that other vet really had me worried! It's now been about 5 months since the first vet made that awful prognosis, and the baby is still happy and healthy, so I'm not going to worry about that anymore!

I'm glad you think I shouldn't worry about the pink ears, I have a tendency to zero in on every tiny thing! Thanks!

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page