is my cat going to die? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

is my cat going to die?

my cat has just gone into surgery....

i noticed its abdomen was a bit extended and it meowed when i picked her up so i took her to the vets right away...the vet said her bladder was full, so full they will have to empty it for her with a needle. and her kidneys were 'tender' ie, she meowed in pain when he squeezed them.

she has just gone into emergency and is going to have blood tests etc.

but im thinking this sounds bad. male cats can sometimes have this problem, but not females. vet doesnt know what it is and is vauge....'we have to wait for results'.

i accept this is more than logical as anything else is just speculation, but at the same time, you can kinda know that it sounds bad ie 80% cats going to die or 20% cats going to die. or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Re: is my cat going to die?

Sounds like you got her to the vet on time and they're taking good care of her. Based on the little info here, it sounds like she may have crystals causing a urinary blockage. Assuming there's no other complications, most cats make a full recovery and need diet management going forward.

Hope she recovers quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply.....the vet said i might be crystals, but that being a female it was rare...it could be a trapped or disfunctioning nerve. how rare is rare for crystals in female cats...and what happens if her nerves are damaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

I do know crystals are more prevalent in males. We've had a fair number of cats with crystals around here, but I really haven't paid attention to the split between males and females. So maybe someone else will have a better assessment for you.

I really can't give you any opinion on the nerve damage. Some nerves regenerate, other don't. It may depend on how damaged or the cause (trauma vs disease). It's very difficult to tell. The one thing I would say is if it appears to be trauma related nerve damage and there's a way to express her bladder manually that the vet can teach you, don't be hasty in making any decisions. Give her some time on anti-inflammatories to see if she makes a recovery.

Fingers crossed for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

it turns out she has 2 big lumps on or by her kidneys (thats why her abdomen looked extended). we dont know what the lumps are yet. all we know at the mo is that one of her kidneys has a higher enzyme concentration that the other...this may have happened due to the tumors or may have always been that way...we dont know yet.

of course it could be cancer. but she is only 4yrs old. what do i do if it is? do i have to put her down right away? she seems happy enough, she just looked bloated.

or what else could it be? i know we will get results in the morning, but i want to make sure i ask about things that it could be, just to be sure the vets have checked. thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Cat Addict

I once had a cat that lived to 15 years with only one kidney. She was on special food and was very happy and comfortable.

Sue

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

It's true that cats can live with only one kidney. Don't allow yourself to get upset. Think positively and let the vet advise you. Prayers for your kitty!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Poor baby. Hopefully it's something benign that can be removed. Fingers crossed for you.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 AM

Oh....I am so sorry.
I think everything is going to turn out great!
So happy you got your cat to the vet when you did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page