Spay pain medication question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Spay pain medication question

Our mommy cat is going in for her spay soon.I know I don't want Metacam given to her,as I heard things about it.What other kind of pain medication should I be worried about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Re: Spay pain medication question

Metacam and Buprenex (Buprenorphine) are the two main pain medications sent home for kitty cats. I personally stay far far away from Metacam in cats (am having a realy problem at my new clinic as they use it a LOT).

Buprenex is very safe and tolerated well by cats. They will be a bit "loopy" while on it. We generally send home 3-4 days worth and most owners only give a couple of doses then stop. Even if cats go home without pain meds they typically act as if nothing happened to them. I think the pain meds will keep them more comfortable though.

You can always call the clinic and ask them what medications they will send home and ask any questions before you go in for your appointment, or on the day of. I would just stay away from the Metacam.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

I know they gave metacam years ago for a spay,so I assume that is what they would give now.I will ask them not to give that,and just wanted to see what other pain meds there are before I would ask them.
I know we got buprenex when one of ours had his teeth cleaned and some taken out.He was really loopy at the end of the day,so he stayed the night.
So buprenex is safe(r) then?Do they use that spays?
I will ask them for sure,just would rather not ask something really silly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

Metacam is not labelled for use in cats - dogs only. Says so right on the box. However, vets have been using it "off label" in cats for years. And honestly, MOST cats handle it just fine. However, it can and does cause acute kidney failure. I've personally seen two definate cases (perfectly normal preop bloodwork, sent home metacam and full blown kidney failure within a week) and one that was an iffy case. It is not meant to be given for more than 4 days (usually an injection followed by 3 days of oral medication). I think the injectable form of Metacam is labelled for use in cats, but I'm not sure. I do know we finally just stopped using it all together at the first two clinics I worked at.

The biggest different between the two is that Metacam is an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and Buprenex is an opiod and works purely on pain. While dogs tolerate NSAIDS pretty well, they can still cause long term kidney and/or liver damage in some dogs. There are no NSAIDS that are safe for long term use in cats. A single injection is usually given and there are still clinics who use Metacam for a few days but any longer will most likely cause serious side effects. The clinic I'm working at now uses it for three days, then every three days for a period of time. I'm really uncomfortable with that and haven't decided how to start asking the doctor about concerns with its use.

As far as how widely used Buprenex is, it all depends on the clinic. I think most clinics have started using it. And for a lot, it is the ONLY pain medication they use for cats. So yes, it is perfectly normal as a post op medication for a spay.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page