How Cold Is Too Cold? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 35
How Cold Is Too Cold?

We are experiencing our first cold front of the season here in South Florida. It's supposed to get down into the low 50s tonight. One of my cats is an outside cat (I've only known her for about six months, as she was a stray/feral kitty), and I'm wondering if I should put her inside tonight. A few months ago, I bought her a nice Igloo (it's really a dog house, but she doesn't know that! LOL) and I put warm, cozy blankets inside. It's under shelter and up against the house, out of the wind. But I'm still considering putting her inside for the night. What do you all think? How cold is too cold for a cat?
Cat'sBestFriend is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monroe, GA
Posts: 13,430
Re: How Cold Is Too Cold?

Low 50s is not too cold for most animals (healthy, not aged).
My outdoor barncat Oscar lived outside because he would not get along with the indoor kitties. He preferred to sleep on the front porch in a cardboard box I put a pillow in. His box was up on a table to keep him away from dogs. This was in Washington state, on the East side of the Cascade Mountains along the Columbia River, high desert and very windy/cold. Winter temps routinely getting below freezing.
He did fine and thrived.



Heidi n Q is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Cool Cat
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 977
Re: How Cold Is Too Cold?

50's is certainly not in the dangerous range for a healthy cat. Why not give her the option? Bring her in, and if she asks to go out before you go to bed, let her out. Is she litter trained?
Smirkitty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 35
Re: How Cold Is Too Cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Low 50s is not too cold for most animals (healthy, not aged).
My outdoor barncat Oscar lived outside because he would not get along with the indoor kitties. He preferred to sleep on the front porch in a cardboard box I put a pillow in. His box was up on a table to keep him away from dogs. This was in Washington state, on the East side of the Cascade Mountains along the Columbia River, high desert and very windy/cold. Winter temps routinely getting below freezing.
He did fine and thrived.
Oh, wow. I'd definitely be afraid to leave her out if it got THAT cold. If your cat is used to it, then yeah, that's different. But with Karma, I'm not sure what she's used to or what she can tolerate. She's 12-14 years old (according to the vet), and I have no idea what her past was like. I've only known her for about six months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smirkitty
50's is certainly not in the dangerous range for a healthy cat. Why not give her the option? Bring her in, and if she asks to go out before you go to bed, let her out. Is she litter trained?
Actually, I don't think she's litter-box trained. I once put her inside because we had high winds and heavy rain (tropical storm conditions) and she peed on the rug, right next to the litter box. I don't know if it's because she's never been an indoor cat and has never used a litter box or what. I wish I knew more about her past...
Cat'sBestFriend is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Premier Cat
 
Leazie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 7,984
Re: How Cold Is Too Cold?

My cats have their litter boxes in the basement, and they spent alot of time down there. In the dead of winter it hangs around low 50's down there and they don't seem to mind.

If the cat house is well out of any wind or rain she should be ok. Maybe you could start having her spend more and more time in the house so that she gets comfortable being inside, so that she'll be happy to be in during bad weather.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Leazie is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monroe, GA
Posts: 13,430
Re: How Cold Is Too Cold?

I've noticed my two barncats Dusty and Pretty enjoy being inside. Pretty will use the litterboxes but Dusty won't so he has to be let out at least every 8hrs. However, I've noticed with the cooler temperatures he prefers to come inside to eat and then he wants to go right back outside. Sometimes he'll spend the night or the day inside, but usually never both. Outside is just too alluring for him at this time of year, I guess.
Both Pretty and Dusty's hair coats are thickening up and they are putting on a layer of fat. The inside cats' fur is a little thicker but body weight is remaining the same.
h



Heidi n Q is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 35
Re: How Cold Is Too Cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
My cats have their litter boxes in the basement, and they spent alot of time down there. In the dead of winter it hangs around low 50's down there and they don't seem to mind.

If the cat house is well out of any wind or rain she should be ok. Maybe you could start having her spend more and more time in the house so that she gets comfortable being inside, so that she'll be happy to be in during bad weather.
Oh, she enjoys being inside during bad weather. That's not the problem. The problem is: She doesn't use the litter box. And, I'm staying with my mother right now and she doesn't want another cat in her house on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I've noticed my two barncats Dusty and Pretty enjoy being inside. Pretty will use the litterboxes but Dusty won't so he has to be let out at least every 8hrs. However, I've noticed with the cooler temperatures he prefers to come inside to eat and then he wants to go right back outside. Sometimes he'll spend the night or the day inside, but usually never both. Outside is just too alluring for him at this time of year, I guess.
Both Pretty and Dusty's hair coats are thickening up and they are putting on a layer of fat. The inside cats' fur is a little thicker but body weight is remaining the same.
Aw ... I used to have a cat named Pretty (RB). My mom accidentally ran over her with her car. Needless to say, it was very traumatic to all of us. Pretty was 14 when it happened. I think my mom is permanently scarred from it. It was such a freak accident. She was slowly pulling into the garage and Pretty ran inside the garage to greet Mom - just like she did every single day - but something happened that day (she must've lost her footing or something and rolled under the tire)...
Cat'sBestFriend is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome