Bait Sardines=Kitty Food?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Bait Sardines=Kitty Food??

I currently feed canned sardines or mackerel about once a week. Mainly because I can't find any fresh seafood for a good price (kind of sad since I live on the coast). But I noticed the other day that they sold sardines and anchovies, as bait, in a local store. Since I was in a rush I just saw the names and prices. I didn't get a chance to inspect them.
They will most likely say not for human consumption. How bad do you think they are? Worth chancing it or not? I will do a little bit of research but does anyone know the difference in human grade fish and bait grade? And anything else you think I should know about bait fish.

I'm predicting a big fat no for this one but I would like to hear some info and opinions if anyone has any.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Re: Bait Sardines=Kitty Food??

Or am I just crazy.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I guess I'd be concerned about how they were handled and whether they were refrigerated properly at all times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

So with some research I found out that about 1/3 of all seafood comes from fish farms/aquaculture. The most popular aquaculture fish are salmon, shrimp,tilapia, catfish, and mussels. I couldn't really find any info about sardines being aquacultured probably because there is a lot of info stating that numbers in the ocean are plentiful.

A majority of all sardines caught are sold as bait fish, making fish meal products, or fish oil. Only a handful goes to canning or sold fresh.

The big commercial fish boats usually freeze their catch on the boat.

So what makes fresh sardines sold for humans different from bait sardines. There is a good chance that they all come from the same catch. No company is really going out there to catch sardines just for fresh human food, too small of a market to be worth it. They are going to catch as much as they can and sell it off to different people. Just my opinion.

Could possibly be that they are handled different after being sold. Fresh human safe fish will have stricter guidelines than baitfish. Was going to nail that down but the USDA website is a pain to find things.

This was an interesting small project. There is some good news. I went to a store, that I normally don't go to, and found some human grade sardines for an ok price. So I won't be dealing the bait fish anymore. Imo unless there are stricter guidelines I feel they are the same.

Take care.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 11:41 AM

whether fresh fish are farmed or not depends on location and season.
for example, Alaskan salmon run during the summer, so whatever can't
be sold fresh locally, is flash frozen and shipped, or canned. this means
most of the salmon we buy fall,winter,spring is most probably farmed.
ironically, this makes canned Alaskan salmon healthier to eat than raw
winters, especially since it's often suspended in Omega enriched oils.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page