Just adopted 2 cats, wet food recommendation needed *w/PICS* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Just adopted 2 cats, wet food recommendation needed *w/PICS*

Just adapted 2 cats last sunday for the shelter. A 1 year old and 3 year old, both females. I am a first time cat owner. The shelter was inside a petstore so after the adoption process was finished, the shelter worker told me what to buy for them. We pushed a cart around and grabbing things like cat litter, pet carrier, toys , scratching post, wet and dry food, etc . Total came out to be about $500 including the cost of the 2 cats. The wet food is Purina Proplan adult formula at $1.30 for a 5.5oz can. I want to feed my 2 cats good quality wet food but just trying to lower the cost a little bit. Can you guys recommend a wet cat food that is as good as Purina proplan but cheaper? Is fancy feast any good, they cost about $0.50 for a 3.5oz can.
I also bought them a Drinkwell platinum fountain to try to promote drinking more water, one of the cats love it, but the other one doesnt like to drink from it, anytips to make her learn to drink from it?

Here are some pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 PM

Re: Just adopted 2 cats, have a question.

I hate to tell you that your going to need to spend more money one food, but you'll need to feed less. Purina and fancy feast, and Friskies are nasty and full of fillers that cats can't actually digest. They don't have a good source of meat either, as well as most other 'natural' or 'organic' food, then there's the large companies like IAMs, Petagree, and Sciences Diet that have bought their way in to Veterinary text books and the hearts of many vets. Anything in a shopping market and in Petco. The first ingredient of a pet food should be meat of some sort, with no by-products, corn or wheat. I wouldn't feed anything but a grain free, super premium, like Wellness CORE, Spot stew, or Evo Innova, Merrick. Cats are Carnivores, strict carnivores, which means they really should be on an all meat, RAW diet. This isn't always an option, but staying away from foods with meat MEAL is also a good choice, as meal means that the meat has been slow cooked over a long period of time. This destroys all of the digestive enzymes that are in RAW meats that cats use to digest food. NON-meat products pro-long the digestive process and creates time for Bacteria to fester in the intestines, leading to Inflammatory Bowl Disease. Not fun. your drin

As for your drinkwell, alls I can say is leave the toilet seat up. Most cats do it anyway. Some cats just won't drink out of something that makes noise, or bubbles loudly. Scared-y cats. =)

For the money you spend on food, you'll save money. They need to eat less of it, they poop/pee less, you'll need to vacuum less, they'll look more healthy, they'll smell better, and be happier and active.

=P

good luck with the little ones!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Congrat's on your adoption :

I have my Drinkwell on a timer.
that helps keep the scardy cats
drinking despite the noise, and
it saves me on electricity costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

You can actually get much better food than Pro Plan for the same or even less money. Here's the main ingredients, everything in bold yucky stuff.....quite a bit of it huh?

Water sufficient for processing, chicken, meat by-products, liver, ocean fish, wheat gluten, turkey, artificial and natural flavor, soy flour, soy protein concentrate,

Meat by-products...the un-named meat source is kind of scary, could be anything from chicken to squirrel to rat and it varies in every batch. A little by-products isn't awful, afterall a cat does eat what would be considered by-products when they eat a mouse. But they're not a good source of protein and are way too high in the ingredient list in 3rd position (the higher on the list, the higher the quantity)

Wheat gluten, cheap fill, lousy source of protein and the cause of all those nasty pet food recalls last year. Many cats are also allergic to wheat. Artificial flavor...why use anything artificial? Soy...another cheap source of poor protein and possible allergen.

There are many foods in the same price range or cheaper that are so much better....Wellness, Merrick, EVO, just to name a few. And if you buy the 13 oz cans of Wellness even less expensive. And I understand it's now available at Petco. A couple other foods that aren't quite as good, but still significantly better than Pro Plan are Natural Balance (also available at Petco) and Eagle Pack. I believe I'm paying $1.19 for Wellness and $1.09 for Eagle Pack at my local pet supply store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Premier Cat

Congrats on the two new family members!

Are you anywhere near a Trader Joe's? Trader Joe's chicken, turkey and rice dinner is the one wet food Murphy will eat, and it's only 59 cents for a 5.5-oz. can. I got the Cat Forum experts' opinion (that's you, Lisa) on the ingredients, and they agreed it's good -- maybe not the best, but good. Unfortunately, you can't order it online, so going to a store and buying individual cans is the only way to get it.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Cool Cat

I get 5oz cans of Wellness and Natural Balance at Petco for $1.29 each. I'm not brave enough to mail-order them yet, my cats might decide they don't like that flavor!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Just adopted 2 cats, wet food recommendation needed *w/PICS*

Thank you for the recommendations, i will go to petco and trader joes and buy other wet cat food. Flickr finally let me update pics so just posted them. I am going to throw the idea of saving money on cat food out the window. Having them healthy and living longer lives is more important. The 2 cats get along as if they grew up together, they clean each other everyday, and dont fight. But the older cat, 3 years old, doesnt react to any of the toys we got for her. I plan to buy a laser pointer and see if she will play. The younger one, 1 years old, has alot of energy and always in "hunting mode". The best part is if we cant find the little one, we ring a bell and she will come right out.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Another great toy that the overwhelming majority seem to love is Da Bird. Not many can resist it. It's a feather on a fishing pole toy, but it's a cut above the normal in the way the feathers flutter and simulate a real bird.

Great decision on the food. It really is a pay me now or pay me later situation. You can save money now, but will more than likely incur vet bills later that more than offset the savings. Not to mention the pain and suffering associated with whatever diseases develop and potentially shortened life span.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 01:59 PM

your hunter may enjoy a ball track ring toy.
there are many variations on this design,
but I think this is the best and the cheapest.
I like this design as the cat can get at the ball
from the inside, outside, and down from the top.
when you unpack it, feel along the edges for
any sharp plastic protrusions, and simply file
them down with a nail clipper or emery board.

my boy loves to curl up inside this thing and
swat the ball all around him for 10 minutes
at a time. definately get the LARGE one;

http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Crazy-Cir ... B0002AT5AO

another pet toy my hunter loves is
Kong Dr. Noy's Chipmunk, which I
suspended from his cat tree using
10lb clear fishing wire. this helps
animate the fur toy while he plays.
you can use it loose, or suspend it
from any shelf, door knob, table,
you don't mind cats playing under.
you can optionally fill it with catnip,
and some cats will even play fetch.
http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/502488

keep in mind while our toy ideas are
popular hits with cats, not every cat
will want them, so it's best to try toys
of various kinds to know what works.

for example, while both my cats love the
chipmunk, one is indifferent to the ring.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Will definatly get that toy and da bird this weekend!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page