Finally got a break through - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Finally got a break through

Well tonight i was having a bath and had nova my new kitten in the bathroom with me so he could play by himself since lately he has been in my spareroom until i can take him to the vet which won't be until november 6th(his diarrhea seem's to be doing alot better) well he had jumped up onto the side of the tub and started to drink water then it hit me all i have to do is heat up the water a bit and he will drink it and me not thinking i ended up letting some water out and he can back again but this time just drinking air which i thought was cute but funny at the same time. So i put some hot water in a cup with a bit of cold water and he ended up drinking some more water which is great to me since he hasn't drinkin much water since i got him except for when i gave him water from a syringe the day before. Would it be a bad thing to heat up his food as well and his milk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Re: Finally got a break through

Hopefully these pictures will work they are the only pictures i have from his old owner until i can download my pictures this weekend at my parent's home since i have a very old computer.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

The milk you're giving him....lactose free? Or regular cow's milk? If it's cow's milk, there's your culprit for the diarrhea....most cats are lactose intolerant.

Warming food is fine, but don't make it too hot, just slightly warm. It actually brings up the smell and entices cats to eat. It's usually a recommendation made for cats with URIs because they have trouble smelling through their stuffy nose and cats won't eat what they can't smell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

The milk i am giving him is the whiska's kitten milk. Is that still pretty good stuff? or else i was just going to try and wean him off that milk and just see if he would just drink water. I was just going to do his food luke warm so it's not so hot for his little tongue. Sometimes i think he's got trouble finding his dish but it is always in the same place and never moved but i still have to take him to the dish so he can eat.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Cat Addict

Whiskas kitten milk isn't actually nutritious as far as i know...It's kinda like pop from what i've heard. However if that's all you can get him to drink *shrugs*.

As for heating things up, I always warm up food for little teeny ones, 6 wks and under, but after that i don't. Mostly because by then I try to have them mostly/completely on the adult's wet food and I feed 1 big can a day. That means the morning meal is always room temp. At dinner I generally warm it up for my adults anyways. They're spoiled, lol.

If you are going to heat up the water don't make it too hot. Test it on your wrist. Same for his food. If it feels too hot on your wrist it's too hot for kitty.

I have one cat who takes her time eating, and three who rush the dishes. He may just not realize that you put food down. If bringing him over gets him to eat then go for it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

That's pretty much all they gave him never trying to get him on other things just whiska's milk and wet food and i've been trying everything i can come up with to make him eat hard food and drink water. His water wasn't hot yesterday just only luke warm and i tested it on my wrist yesterday before i let him have anymore. I've tried mashed up cold hard and wet food to see if he would eat it but would only eat the wet food and spit out the hard food. So i am going to trying to mush it up again but heat it for just a couple of seconds.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Cat Addict

Wet food is better for them anyways. Mine do get an option of dry, but that's mostly for their teeth. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, it could just be that he has a hard time eating the dry food. You could try adding a teeny bit of water to the dry then microwaving it for a few second (10 ish). Then let it sit to soak for a minute. That might get him trying it at least.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

All i really care about is if he eat's because he is really on the skinny side and is alot smaller then his sister. I will try that for his next meal and see if he likes it the only reason i want him to be on hard food then atleast all my cat's are on hard food and get wet food as a treat every week since my female is starting to get a bit jealous since she got spoiled before and now she only gets wet food sometimes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Giving a cat wet food is not spoiling them, it's the best way to keep them healthy; they should be on a primarily wet food diet.

Dry food does nothing for their teeth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I have decided just to keep him on wet food but would if be a bad thing if i change it to a better wet food? and what type of wet food is best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page