Softpaws? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Softpaws?

has anyone here used the Softpaws claw covers? if so are they worth buying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Cat

Re: Softpaws?

I haven't - hubby and I have had pretty good success just keeping their nails trimmed regularly and providing plenty of "acceptable" scratching surfaces. (And it helps that we don't have any really fancy furniture...) In our cats' case, I think it's easier to hold them still for the few minutes it takes to trim the claws; it seems to me like it would take longer to apply the tips, and Othello is a squirmy little boy as it is! But my friend has been using the Soft Paws tips with her cat for a few years now, and seems to be having good luck with them. So I think that the product's worth to you would depend on how long your kitty will sit still and let you manhandle his/her paws, how good he/she is about scratching on posts and mats, and how worried you are about your furniture. If you'd like, I can ask my friend how long it takes her to apply them and how often she has to do it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 12:04 PM

I have used them on 2 of my cats. They can be a bit tricky to put on. But they worked like a charm! The 2 cats that I used them on were scratching at the carpet or on the wood furniture. With the soft claws, they continued for a short while, but eventually stopped. I haven't been using them lately and the cats have not reverted to their bad behavior. I keep them on hand just in case they start up again. They really worked great for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

to be honest my cat isnt really scratching the furniture as much as he is scratching me (accidentally of course, like while climbing on my lap LOL) and with a new baby coming i really just wanted to take extra precautions. im really glad to hear that the product actually works because i really am against the whole de-claw thing...its just mean with that being said, i'll be ordering a set within the next week...thanks!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Do you trim your cats nails? It sounds like that may be more the issue behind the scratching. If you're not trimming, you might want to start with that....you have to do that when using the nail caps anyway. Taking the sharp tips off every couple weeks helps a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM

I used to use them for my kitty Noel, who is deceased now. She was a major furniture scratcher, so I gave them a shot. They worked well, but the only issue I has with them was I had to reapply them every time her claws shed the outer layer, which is every 1 - 2 months I think. And, the glue that they sent with the tips would dry in the tube after the first one or two uses, so I had to use Super Glue instead, which is really what I think the Soft Paws glue is.

But I'll tell you what, she sure looked cute running around with hot pink "fingertips," and overall I was happy with them and they served the purpose I needed them for.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:46 PM

I find that trimming claws don't really help save your furniture. My two who get their nails trimmed pretty often still managed to rip apart my couch. They have scratching posts and several scratching toys but they seem to favor the couch. I was not happy when i found my couch ripped but luckly for them it's an old couch. I'm definately not buying a new couch until they get older.

I have never used soft paws. Let me know how they are.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

I can't seem to find any information now, but we had a flyer at the clinic I work at for a newer version of Soft Paws that don't require glue. There are some sort of ridges on the inside that make them cling to the nail without the use of glue.

I'm assuming they aren't out yet since I can't seem to find anything about them... I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow when I go in.

I think they are a great alternative, but I've seen so many horrible problems with the glue leaking out and sticking to the skin and fur resulting in very painful removal for the cat.

But like others have said, you do have to be able to trim the nails to apply the nail caps. And if you take your cat to the vet or groomer, you may have to make several trips back to have them reapplied as they fall off (usually just a few at a time). Its something worth looking into though.

**edited to add**

The new soft paws have what is called a Cleat Locking System (CLS) that is supposed to make them adhere better. So far, I've only found them listed on eBay and no real information anywhere, but it looks like they do still use the glue with them. Oh well, it seemed too good to be true.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:33 PM

I have used these in the past and ALL 5 of my cats managed to get them off within a couple weeks? I followed the directions exactly while putting them on too!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:40 AM

With the first application cats often get them off quicker than you'd think because they bother them. The more used to wearing them they get, the less they chew & pull at them, the longer they stay on. I used to have to use them for Bumper (RIP) on just one of his hindfeet as he used to self traumatise his face. We recommend them for use with cats who scratch themselves to infection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page