Did something I swore I'd never do... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Did something I swore I'd never do...

...I gave Fozzy wet food!

I know I know, I'm horrible for not feeding wet food but really, I've seen how much they can beg for it and I didn't want to turn any of my cats into little monsters like that.

However, Fozzy has been really twitchy since I got him and has already been treated for fleas and ear mites so I'm thinking he's twitching from dander and dry skin...so, I'm starting to feed him some wet food to see if that makes him less twitchy...

I'm only going to give him 1/3 a can at dinner time, so hopefully he doesn't beg for it in the mornings...we'll see! Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Did something I swore I'd never do...

I think that's all for the good, Heather. Blueberry can't eat dry food; he can't keep it down. He didn't have a good appetite, and used to be thin. Once I put him on canned he was fine. I am only partially successful making the switch with Nina. She was two when I got her, and had always eaten dry food. I think you and Fozzy will both be happy with canned food.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not following Heather....it's great that he likes wet food since it's so much better for him. Why not make it his primary diet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Premier Cat

Maybe some people prefer to feed a dry diet, for various reasons? I do.

In the past, my kitty Blaze needed to be fed canned food or she would lose weight. Currently, Mousie is eating an all wet food diet and still losing weight, but she has a tumor and we are keeping her as happy/healthy as we can to keep her quality of life up. After she has crossed The Bridge, the cats will return to a treat of one can of wet food per day.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I guess I've always had a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended) by the effects of wet food on cats. Growing up, we had a stray that we eventually took in but would not eat a single piece of dry food. We realized all she used to eat was wet so that's what we'd give her. She begged for it 24/7...it was ridiculous and annoying so I always just told myself I'd only feed my future cats dry food.

Then I got Oliver and because of the past experience, started him on dry and continued on dry. I did read about the good effects wet food can have on cats but realized with all the traveling I did on the weekends, and not ever being able to have someone check on Oliver, I'd just keep him on dry. He did fine on it as did Delia and all the rest of my cats back home. So, I kinda always thought that if dry worked, that's what I'd feed.

Fozzy is my special exception though because of this twitching problem that I can't get to the bottom of.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know why your cat was begging for food all the time, it may have been because she was a stray and wasn't used to having a regular source of food. Callie was like that for years after bringing her in from outside.

But it certainly isn't typical for cats on a wet food diet to be that way, as long as they're getting an appropriate amount. Even though I feed primarily wet, I keep some dry in my cats diet on a regular basis so that they're used to it when I go away overnight and have to leave food out for them. So a combination works out OK.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Oh...my...gosh....I'm tempted to start eating wet cat food if it can make my hair as smooth as it did Fozzy's fur!!! He's only been on it 5 days...about 1/4 a can a day, and already I can tell a MAJOR difference in his fur....he feels like velvet!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yay!

Don't you get hooked on Fancy Feast, Heather! We'll have to have an intervention!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Maggie went to the vet for a check up today and the vet went on and on about how great her fur feels....I have the food the credit....

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:53 PM

I feed mostly wet ( my cats just don't seem to like dry??)and everytime I take the cats to the vet they comment on how soft and shiny thier fur is!My cats also have lots of energy,are at a great weight have small no smell poo!I too benefit it alot to thier diet!I rotate between several brands such as wellness,solid gold,california natural,by nature and eagle pack!( there are more but that was the picks for this month)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page