Pickyness, food sensitivities - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Pickyness, food sensitivities

I've been ordering food lately from Petfooddirect since that seems to be the only way I can get high quality food around here (my two are on all canned except for when we go out of town). But just when I think I've got it figured out which foods they will eat and tolerate, it changes!

Lately, Stormy has been really picky. Things she used to like she suddenly gets picky about. Like the Wellness chicken, she'll still eat it *most* of the time but doesn't gobble it anymore. And she won't eat the Merrick foods. Is there any reason why she is being more picky? Her weight is still fine. How can I combat the pickyness? She does better when the food is room temp and not from the refrigerator, but I'm not going to heat it up for her and stink up the microwave. She also has a limited time to eat since I shut Justin up in a different room while they eat so that he won't eat all his food AND hers.

Justin seems to be getting diarrhea from the Eagle Pak turkey formula but not from the chicken and lamb. I'm thinking maybe he is sensitive to the barley that is in the turkey formula? He is more prone to diarrhea spells in general.

FYI, I seem to get the best shipping rates on Petfoodirect when I order 6 large cases of food at a time. Any more than that and shipping goes up exponentially. Also I found a 22% off code, WFFPFD02, not sure how long that will last, but a good deal.

I'm trying out the Evo this time, I hope they like it!

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Pickyness, food sensitivities

Cats won't generally eat what they can't smell, AND they prefer food that is "mouse body" temperature (warmed). Food straight from the fridge is both too cold and too unsmelly to tempt most cats to eat.

You might consider buying a second, small microwave just to use to warm the cats' food. You could also put the food into a baggie and place it into a bowl of hot water for a few minutes to warm it up.

Laurie
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

are you rotating flavors or feeding the same one day after day? Adding more variety might help. I know my kitty isn't all that picky in general but I try to buy EVO and Felidae in the big cans because they're so much cheaper, but they last almost 3 days and by then she takes forever to get around to eating because she's bored.

As for warming the food... I always take a small amount of water and microwave it then mix that in with the cold canned food. What works better is to put the tiniest layer of water on the bottom of a microwave safe food bowl (I only have a few that can go in the microwave) for like 15 seconds... the water AND bowl heat up and get the food much warmer. Plus, no stinky microwaved cat food smell and you don't end up with hot spots in the food that might burn your kitty's mouth.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I do the large cans as well since they are cheaper. I usually feed the same thing for about a month and then switch. I thought you were supposed to do that so that they can adapt to the new food? If I started switching every few days I think Justin's tummy might get upset.

I will have to try the water trick. Thanks! I have some glass bowls I could heat some water in and then pour it into her bowl and stir it around.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

most cats do fine switching up canned foods - it seems to be the dry that causes more problems. If Justin has no problems with pickiness but has a sensitive stomach, maybe keep him on the same food for a long time but try switching hers up more often to keep her interested.

There are many members here who switch up flavors and brands on a daily basis with no problems at all - I know mine prefers it that way!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 02:02 PM

I feed mostly wet ( my cats don't really like dry??) and I have noticed they do seem to get bored with the same flavbors VERY quickly!I rotate between several different brands!This month I did Wellness,Eagle Pack,Solid Gold,By nature & California Natural.I also do Natural Balance and a few others too!and I too order it from petfooddirect!infact I used the same coupon code!and I agree the shipping costs can get really high!!lol I spent over 175 a month on thier cat food ordering it from there!but it ius still cheaper ( not to mention I have to travel very far)around here food (high quality) is soooooooo expensive! and for 5 cats!!you can only imagine!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 PM

My cat is the same! It's good to know im not alone. He always got a mix of home-cooked and canned, but then he started picking out the fish from his home cooked and leaving everything else behind. We went through a whole list of different brands, whiskas being the most recent. He liked that for a while, then he didn't. And wouldn't eat anything. I've recently switched him to Addiction, and now he's really into the brushtail canned and salmon canned. I wonder whats next!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page