how do you know when a cat is sick? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

how do you know when a cat is sick?

I posted in behavior about my 2 year old acting different towards us since we brought home a new cat. He seems more like just a plain old cat now- which totally sucks. and the other day i gave him a bath with peppermint dr. bronners soap which is safe for pets. he was more angry about it than usual and we didn't get him dried off much because he wouldn't allow it. then he was hacking a lot- from all the grooming he did.

then on Tuesday he didnt eat breakfast! weird, the bf stayed home with him for awhile and he ate. he was feeling better i think? then i noticed that he has a nasal or throat rattle when he purrs. This is new. Is it possible that he is just really tired? I don't know if he is sleeping as much with a new 6 mo old very playful kitten around. I don't think that it is an URI because he has none of the symptoms- I thought maybe new cat (Stuart) brought something from the shelter.

any suggestions on stressed out/tired cat? how do i make him feel betteR? he seems a little out of it

thanks
- oh i tried the locking him in the bathroom with a hot shower today
tried posting pics but they are too big need to reformat them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Jr. Cat

Re: how do you know when a cat is sick?

Well, I can tell you one problem, Yes, Dr. Bronners says its safe for pets because its organic and natural, no chemicals...BUT they contain essential oils which are very powerful and can have different effects on the body. Dr. Bronners peppermint contains peppermint essential oils, which can burn! That soap might give us a cooling sensation on our body in the shower, but to a cat, a little pepperint in the ears, nose, mouth or ahem..other areas, could feel like using icy-hot you-know-where! I got straight peppermint under my nose once when sniffing it from the bottle and my skin turned all red and burned for an hour. If you want use Dr. Bronners for your pets, they make an unscented baby one, that doesnt have essential oils that could potentially be irritating. They all effect different peoples, and animal skin different ways.

Not sure if this is the problem with the cat, but I just thought I'd recommend not using that soap again, in case its making the cat uncomfortable or in pain...its a safer bet to use the unscented one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page