Diabetic 5 year old cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Diabetic 5 year old cat

A person i know has a 5 year old diabetic cat who was diagnosed with diabeties last year he's on insulin twice a day on a low dose she has asked me to take care of him now as he lives with 6 other cat's and two dog's is it to soon that he comes to live with me? He's a gorgeous orange boy and i want to help so if anyone has any sites or anything that would help me out would be great and he's also allergic to the food they have so i wanted to also know what type of food is the best for a diabetic cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Diabetic 5 year old cat

You have to be ready for the expense of taking care of a diabetic cat.
And be willing to make the time comittment - regular meals and insulin dosage.
That said, it can be done.

Google diabetic cat and you will find several very good websites.
The best food is low carb, high protein. Wet is preferred over dry. We did Purina DM for a year but have recently switched. Do you know what the food allergy is? That's going to be the complicating factor.

My son's cat was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I did a lot of research, changed her food and her blood sugar is now in the normal range.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 AM
Banned

First.....a must-read link.

Secondly, mot people who have to begin dealing with chronic feline health condition/disease get their very best advice and practical support from others who have lots of experience in managing that same condition. There are groups of these people online 24/7/365 who will welcome the "person you know" and provide them with probably better information and advice than their Vet......people in these groups very quickly realize that the combined experience and knowledge of the group most often far outstrips that of their individual Vets.

One such (very old and established) group can be found here. (That group is an outgrowth of this site.)

Here is another such group.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

This is the first time i have dealt with a diabetic cat but i have had a cat with special need's before who was born without the use of his back leg's and ended up getting him one of those chair's so that he could have some mobility and he was one of the best cat's i have ever owned.

I haven't had a full conversation on what his food allergy is as she is an aquantence of mine from an ex-friend but me and my fiancee were planning on visiting them tonight and to see the little guy.

Does your son's cat need insulin injections too?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

You're wonderful for considering this, but understand that this cat could live a very long time if managed properly (10 years or more). Your life will revolve around the schedule for his insulin shots. The time those are given cannot vary significantly. Are you or your fiance prepared to be home or awake to administer a shot EVERY day within a half hour of 6am and 6pm (for example) (and I'm not sure if it's a half hour, but it's not far off). And also find someone capable of doing it when you can't be home and the cost associated if you have to hire a pet sitter to do it. I've know people who had difficulty making this commitment for a cat they've had for years and love dearly, taking in a cat with this condition may create resentment very quickly. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but make sure you've thought this through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Of course i've had cat's most of my life and they lived a long time one was until 14 years old and he was great. We are awake quite early because of my fiancee's job and don't go to sleep until later in the night. I am home everyday and only work 3 hour's a day right now and he only get's shot's administered 2 times a day one at 8am and another at 8pm 12 hours apart as well as some medicine on his neck as he has some bump's so of course i am willing to do whatever it take's to make this guy as good as he can be. The only reason we are planning on taking him her and her husband already have four other cats and 5 dogs and they didn't think it was fair to barley as well as him wanting to eat their food but he's allergic too their food so now he is on science diet. He's a sweet little boy they rescued him as a kitten off the street's and had a severe ear mite infection which made his head quite huge so this boy hadn't the best start at life but now he look's amazing he's about 14 pounds she had told me when we had went over there tonight. Of course if we ever went away for longer then just a couple of hour's we would be very picky on who we got to look after him specially to administer his shot's that or take him to a vet that can administer his shot's.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

OK cool...sometimes, people don't quite realize what they're getting into, but you seem to have it covered!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

I try i read everything i can and have a long talk with my fiancee before i do anything. We were looking to add another cat and thought an older and special need's cat would be a great addition to the family. I am just glad he can live out the rest of his life with us as he is going to going blind as well soon so deserves the best while he can still see. lol thanks i try my best.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

As i see it every cat whether it be a old cat or one with special need's they all need great home's not just the kitten's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page