Anti-Histamine or Steroid? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Anti-Histamine or Steroid?

So Jack has been having a little bit of a problem with sounding "stuffy" When he breathes. I took him to the vet but they could not figure out what was wrong. There was nothing blocking his passage ways. His breathing was normal except for the congested sound that only sometimes happened when he purred or took breaths, but non constantly. It sees more prevalent when he takes deep breaths. His lungs were fine, breathing was even out of his nostrils and he had no fever.

He has always had a bit of a noise coming from him when he purrs or takes deep breaths (kinda like being stuffed up) but it is just recently a lot more noticeable.

His behaviors are normal, he plays normal, eats normal does nothing out of the ordinary. No excessive sneezing No discharge, no weeping.

The Vet recommend maybe putting him on a Steroid or anti-Histamine and gave me the option, well to be honest the idea of a Steroid just does not seem healthy or natural to me so I'm leaning towards a anti-histamine.

The vet said it could possibly be allergies but without any discharge, weeping it is hard to tell. From what she could tell he was a normal healthy 3 yr old cat.

I'd like to get this little breathing annoyance cleared up but I am at a loss considering i'm not sure if it is Allergies or not.

Also they checked for pollups or whatever they are called. They Could not find any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:45 PM

Re: Anti-Histamine or Steroid?

If you are more comfortable with anti-histamines then I would try that first. I don't have a lot of knowledge between the two. I know my cat has had steriod injections with no problem but you have to go with what you are most comfortable with. I would try that first and give it some time. If it doesn't get better you can look into steriods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page