Jacks Sick - Vets not sure - I'm lost. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Jacks Sick - Vets not sure - I'm lost.

So, I dont really know where to begin.

Jack is still jack, he is still acting like a cat, doing his cat things. People tell me i'm over reacting. But I know my cat.

The past month when he purs or breathes a little heavy there is a stuffy sound coming from his nose. It sounds like a cold, but he isn't sneezing, there is no wattery/weeping from the eyes or snot coming from his nose. He is not running a temp. His stool movements have been normal as has his appetite.

So being a concerned owner/parent. I took him to the vet, well they thought allergies and offered a steroid, i decided no on the steroid and opted for antihistamine instead. Well now a few days on the antihistamine no improvement.

The vet is unsure. Next is blood work if he doesn't improve. A suggestion was that Jack was possibly alergic to the millet in the Katz n Flocken so I've switched him to Natural Balance Duck and Pea for his dry but he really isn't eating it. Nor has he really ate today. Oddly, today was the day in which he was most active. He ate maybe a quarter can of his wet and a few bites of dry. But some days, he doesn't eat a lot and others he pigs out so i'm going to watch his appetite and see if it truly has diminished.

He has slept for most of today, but was up all night last night.

Obviously I'm concerned but I'm at a loss, as is the vet as they do not think it is Viral.

So i come to fellow cat owners for suggestions, experience and advice. I love the guy and if he is in any pain/misery i want to make sure he is taken care of.

Any help or suggestions/advice is appreciated as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Jacks Sick - Vets not sure - I'm lost.

I'm the queen of overreacting, so don't worry about it.

I have a friend whose cat takes an OTC antihistamine every day because you can hear her "wheeze" at night. But it sounds like your kitty has a different issue since that didn't work.

It's late, you'll get good responses tomorrow. Hope little Jack is feeling better soon.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Just a small update, second visit to the vet as no increase.

So now Jack is on Chlorpohenaramine Maleate and ClavaMox. I will give this a few days. I was wrong about getting the Anti Hist before it was just hte Clava (my bad)

Jack did not eat yesterday really much at all. Today he has ate more and mainly because he finally got the ideal food of his choice Innova and AvoDerm. So he is happy about that.

Another concerning thing has occurred though, Jacks rear part of his mouth, his jaw seems to be very sore, too the touch sore. Now with viral issues this might be expected but I am super super concerned. Normally he loves to have his chin scratched but now he backs away. Vet is still rather perplexed. The Blood Test will come if no improvement is seen in the next few days.

He has never been sick, never had any issues and this being his first seems to be a doozie. I am trying not to think Felv but it is in the vets mind as a possibility. At this point.

I'm scared, I really am. I care about him so much i just want the best, and for such a unique cat that has seemed to be in perfect health to suddenly just "get sick" well i still hope for some thoughts and advice from you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:41 PM

Is there anyway he's been stressed?

Satan had the sore/redness around his mouth (well it was on one side but it was red and even went up the philtrum). It was stress based we came to find out. After getting him back to his safe haven and him being on his old routine he got better remarkably quick. The vet was never able to find out a real problem...

I'm guessing the lack of eating has to do with his sore mouth. Satan ate very little also. He's probably eatting little and then when he eats alot is when he feels "brave" enough to bare with the pain and discomfort caused by his mouth.

If it's not stress it could be cleaners in your house...I know like floor cleaners and such could effect them.

Good luck
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm a bachelor, we do not know what cleaners are lol. No we use water and soap on the hardwood. If any soap at all tbh.

The carpets just get vacuumed. I tend to try and be fairly careful around him and the surfaces that he uses.

I'm at a loss and hope it gets better and is not FELV. He still eats, i mean he is loving this avoderm so thats good. He still jumps on stuff but is just being lethargic. But i can imagine being sick he needs his rest. I'm just amazed he hissed at me when i pet his chin. That is a never occurrence with him, he is just no a hisser. He also hissed at the vet and that makes it a total of 3 or 4 times in his life i have ever seen him hiss.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

I hope you get some answers soon. Cleo got sick shortly after I adopted her and it took an ER visit, several tests and lots of money to get an answer.

I know the worry eats at you terribly, and it must be especially hard with him not acting like himself and hissing.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Just a quick quesiton here,

Chlorpheniramine - Ever since he took this today all he does is sleep, if i pick him up he cries and wants to go sleep again.

Is this typical of the sedation you get with this? He's slept for the last 5 hours and just does not want to be moved.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Awww, poor Jack. It's so hard to see them feeling lousy. Here's some info on the Chlorpheniramine. It's an anti-histamine and like their use in humans, can cause drowsiness.

Chlorpheniramine maleate causes drowsiness in animals just as it does in people and can be used as a mild tranquilizer.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_clor-trimeton.html

I guess I would go for the blood test sooner rather than later. The first reason to get to the bottom of this and help him feel better asap. The second reason is for your own peace of mind. Your stress level will transmit to him, possibly compounding the situation.

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat

The blood test, sedation and exploration plus possible X-rays are scheduled for tomorrow. Its $362 which i do not have so i'm putting myself in debt with no way to pay it back but it is worth it if he lives.

He stopped eating his avoderm and innova today. I did add some water to the innova to get it softer if he is having a soreness problem with his mouth and he seems to be eating that very little at a time but at least it is something. I am gutted right now. My strong guy, my warrior playful invincible cat is in pain and i feel so helpless. For a guy i sure am weak, i've cried so much just being worried about him. His jaw hurts, His Chin hurts, his breathing is normal but still the sound is still there. He opens his mouth partial but is not panting. And its barely open. I called the vet today and tomorrow is best to bring him in. They want to give the drugs another day i guess.

This is horrible, he is the first animal i've allowed to get myself this attached to. He means the world to me and so much more, it is very hard to explain how much he means. With him being this way even I feel sick just knowing he is in a bad way.

His lip licking and rough swallowing is super converning, and he flicks his ear and gives it a quick single shake every once in awhile but it is not normal so this has to be a part of the problem. I feel so quilty, i dont know if i could have done anything to prevent this, make his life better. I just feel like its all my fault right now and **** i dunno. I just feel horrible.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I can't imagine seeing one of my girls this sick. I hope you get some (good) answers tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page