Science Diet Light for senior cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Science Diet Light for senior cat?

I'm trying to get my 17 year old cat to lose some weight. He's always been a fat cat but he's elderly now and the vet really wants him to lose several pounds. I'd been feeding him canned Science Diet Senior food but have been giving him the Light variety for the past couple of weeks. On the can, it says that it's for cats 1-6 years of age. Is this OK for him? They don't make a light version for seniors. Any suggestions on other brands of food that might be better?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Science Diet Light for senior cat?

If your cat is otherwise healthy and doesn't require a special diet, I would just switch him (VERY SLOWLY) over to a good quality canned food. Science Diet is full of grains, carbs and fillers and your kitty will never lose weight on it. Also, I would stay clear of any "diet" "in door formula" or "lite" foods as well as they tend to have too many fillers as well.
Some good foods are Wellness, Innova, Evo, Merrick, Prairie, or Solid Gold.
I've got to say though, if your kitty is 17 and healthy, I don't think I would be that concerned about his weight at this point. Obviously, it's not good for them to be overweight in general, but if he's done well this far, why mess with it? But that's just me. If you really want him to lose some weight though, I would do it extremely slowly.

Victoria
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Tom Cat

It's very important that the cat lose the weight even at 17 years old. Feline diabetes comes into play and you don't want that to be the reason you lose your cat.

I agree that Science Diet isn't the best option. I too would check out a higher quality brand with less fillers, no by products etc. Any of the brands already listed would be a huge step up. I wouldnt look for a light version a wet diet is best and I think you will be amazed at the difference you'll see in a higher quaity food on your cats health.

How much does the cat weigh? How many ounces is it currently eating?

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

After posting this I started researching and found that Sciene Diet isn't such a good food, like you all have said. I'm out of the SD anyway so sounds like a good time to switch. It was just recently that I put them almost entirely on a soft food diet after finding out how much better it was for them. He gets around really good, doesn't really have problems jumping on the bed or anything. He can't groom his back very well though, probably due to the weight and some bone spurs that were found on X-ray. Right now he's about 15 lbs, and the vet would like to seem him around 11 or 12. He needs his teeth cleaned really bad but the vet doesn't want to do it right now due to his weight and unknown condition of his heart. When he had radioactive iodine treatment a little over a year ago, ultrasound revealed some fatty cysts on his liver and an enlarged heart, which was also seen on x-ray. We're also watching his kidneys as his levels went up after treatment but have since come down.

Thanks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Banned

Never to late to take Feline Nutrition 101 (from a Vet, BTW)

Then, you can read a little further about obesity in cats.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, I took him in for a checkup today and the vet said to get off the canned food. He said that his teeth are terrible and that the canned food will only make it worse. He [my cat] needs the hard food to help prevent so much tartar buildup and keep them as clean as we can until he can get his teeth cleaned. When I brought up the nutrition aspect he said that the one thing vets never mention is that the first place bacteria from the mouth spreads to is the heart, and then the kidneys. Since his heart may already be compromised, and his kidneys are questionable, this is the one thing we don't need. So now I don't know what to do. Get one of those brands in a hard formulation? He's so used to canned food now I'm afraid he won't want to go back!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Cool Cat

Dry food does not clean teeth unless it is formulated to do so. Your best bet would be to brush teeth, give special dental chews or offer raw bones/raw chunks of meat to help clean the teeth. generally old cats have bad teeth regardless of what is being fed, unless they have been getting their teeth brushed/have been on a raw diet.
I know you must be confused but wet really is so much better for your cat, teeth aside. Some people feel wet food may cause more plaque build up, others say it does not but it really does not clean teeth.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Tom Cat

Please read this article about how dry food does NOT clean cats teeth.

http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?actio ... antheteeth

My recommendation honestly, keep feeding wet, buy a cat toothbrush and toothpaste and start his brushing. You'll never get to do the teeth cleaning feeding dry food--IMHO by switching to dry food, you're giving your overweight cat a death sentence.

Leslie
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Premier Cat

It really makes me crazy when vets do not keep up with their education and pass outdated and incorrect information on to their patients.
As others have said, it has long been disproven that dry does anything for their teeth. In fact, there are some who say it's actually worse because of the starchy build up from all those carbs. I read a great analogy once: "Would you eat a Trisket to clean your teeth?".
I really urge you to do your own research and not listen to your vet on this one. He/she is correct that bad teeth are very bad for their health and can effect the heart etc, but dry food isn't going to help. I'm assuming he doesn't want to do a dental because of your kitty's age? If so, you can look up people who do non anesthetic cleanings. They aren't as thorough as putting them under, but it's better than not doing anything.
I'm sorry you're getting so much conflicting information and I know that's frustrating but, honestly, wet food will benefit your cat so much more than dry.
Here are a couple more articles for you:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... ramforcats

Victoria
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Cat toothpaste will actually still clean thier teeth even if you are unable to brush them!if you just wipe it on the teeth it is an enzymatic (sp?) it breaks down the tarter and buildup on the teeth and gums!Good luck and I agree that the wet is his best option to lose weight and I have read many articles on the fact that dry does not clean the teeth!Also raw chicken necks will clean a cats teeth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page